Monday, March 16, 2020

a sunny if silent day

in which our plucky heroine shares some additional options for things to do...

Time of Isolation - Day 4

I am the very model of effective social distancing!
I listen to the experts on the topic of resistance-ing;
I know that brunch and yoga class aren’t nearly as imperative
As doing what I can to change the nation’s viral narrative.

I’m very well acquainted, too, with living solitarily
And confident that everyone can do it temporarily:
Go take a walk, or ride a bike, or dig into an unread book;
Avoid the bars and restaurants and carry out, or learn to cook.

There’s lots of stuff to watch online while keeping safe from sinus ills
(In this case, it’s far better to enjoy your Netflix MINUS chills)!
Adopt a pet, compose a ballad, write some earnest doggerel,
And help demolish Trump before our next event inaugural.

Pandemics are alarming, but they aren’t insurmountable
If everybody pitches in to hold ourselves accountable.
In short, please do your part to practice prudent co-existence-ing,
And be the very model of effective social distancing!

- Eliza Rubenstein

From the renowned fantasy artist Charles Vess:
"Since the next several weeks will be quieter and slower than most for you, perhaps you'd like to read my novel, 'The Queen of Summer's Twilight'. Its all on online and free on my GMP blog. I hope that you'll enjoy it..."

Looking for a fun thing to do while distancing from your everyday life and contacts? The artist Carson Ellis is going to be posting daily "art assignments" and encouragement on her Instagram. I plan on participating...


My friend and author A. M. Brosius has written a number of fascinating and enjoyable alternate future history novels, and a number of them are serialised on his Dreamwidth account. As he recently posted:
"I'm not sayin' that if you're stuck at home for days and bored that you could go to dreamwidth and read the serialized novels that I have posted there. But you *could* y'know?": Chapter One, Book One:

※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 candied pomelo peel back corner fence-
2 blood orange marmaladepantry reorganised-
3 cara cara marmaladecorned beef in freezer -
4 x
repair dainty bag -
5 xx x
6 x x
x
7 x x
x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - am grateful for having a separate food freezer, so that I can store food as long as we still have electricity, and that allows me to cook things ahead for when I am finally able to actually eat real meals. The corned beef and cabbage will be later this year, but no the less nommy...

3 comments:

  1. Love the poem! Of course, it can be sung to "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3dPaz9nAo
    Gilbert & Sullivan are so good at lifting spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it most cheering, and I'm pretty sure that the person listed who wrote it, had just that in mind, as they are involved in choral productions

      Delete
  2. Very funny and smart poem, thanks for sharing it along with all the other delightful acitivities. Last week our libraries closed for the duration, so I've begun rereading my home library. I will these online novels to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed