As an antidote to my frustration over ongoing health issues, a cranky back that is slow to recover, various chronic problems that have all flared up seemingly at once, and deep blue feelings of despair, I offer up the memory of kindness, connection, and creativity -
The tomatoes, resting in the freezer temporarily, remind me that my neighbors are also most kind and generous; when I pick plums from the plum thicket tomorrow, half of them are going to Karla. I may have been a trifle enthusiastic at the farmers market... this is enough peppers for at least four batches of Awesome Sauce! Have not yet actually weighed the tomatoes I was given, but with luck my pantry shelves will be full of homemade condiments soon
Over Labor Day last weekend three friends (Leah, Randall, and Ursel) came to visit me for the afternoon, and there was a great feeling of peaceful creativity here, as we discussed, drew, researched and practiced calligraphy. And earlier this Saturday afternoon, Heather and Ellie came by to bring me lunch and stayed for a visit. I was able to give Ellie the colorful yarn and knitting needles gift, and also do some planning with Heather for the upcoming feast and dancing season... we have somewhat delightfully grandiose plans for some heraldic embellishment of the block-printed variety on their SCA clothing I will be making this autumn..
※※※
rather than faffing about all weekend and getting nowhere, I have decided to go ahead stitching up the denim jacquard pinafore that has most of the pieces already cut out. I'd been putting this one off for months because I thought I would need to do double welt pockets (which I've not ever done before) but I suddenly realised this afternoon I could get a similar linear effect by cutting the top edge of the patch pockets in a curve and binding it. Still experimental, still a new if minor change-up, but the fabric will serve me better as a garment than sitting on the shelf unsewn! I have two different subtle pieces of ikat, a darker one I intend to use for bindings, and a lighter one that includes bits of teal and brown which will be a band along the hemline, to add just a bit of length and some additional weight to the hem


No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed