Saturday, September 8, 2018

Big Red

in which our plucky heroine remembers an aphorism...

Long ago when rocks were soft and our plucky heroine was still a teen and away at college, my 2-D design teacher, Miss Hansen, told us: "if you can't make it good make it big... if you can't make it big, make it red."

Two of my generous neighbors both shared their garden bounty with me, and the lovely nightshade fruits are now in the freezer, aside from the ones that were immediately eaten. Nothing compares to homegrown sun ripe tomatoes!

The ones in the freezer will be transmogrified into Awesome Sauce when my cranky back is up for a bout of preserving. Freezing them first not only keeps them sound until I can get to them, but also saves the step of blanching to remove the skins, as the skins slip off easy-peasy if you catch them at just the right stage of thaw.

One especial tomato was a behemoth! At just about 800g all on its own, it is enough to make one recipe of Awesome Sauce all by itself



3 comments:

  1. That tomato is magnificent. I would have been tempted to just sit down and eat the whole thing. For many years our "neighbors" in Northern AZ shared their abundant tomato harvest with us, in exchange for some of our hot weather crops like okra and sweet potatoes. Unfortunately with recent life changes we've all temporarily stopped growing things, but one day maybe we'll start up again.

    Enjoy the bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great tip about not having to peel tomatoes after freezing, if they're caught at the right moment. I love home-canned tomatoes; they taste far better than commercially-canned, for some reason. Enjoy your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much have to DIY any canned tomato products I want to use, since I react badly to the citric acid used in commercial canning... My homemade condiments etc are acidulated with either vinegar or lemon juice instead I'll be doing another blog post when I actually get to making the Awesome Sauce

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed