... and is grateful for finding her pool locker padlock again, so that visits to the pool can continue, a tiny short-term pleasure of release from gravity
※※※
Tomorrow I have to go to the dentist. I am ashamed of my fear. Adults should be beyond that, and indeed as a child I had no real fear of the dentist at all. But the combination of some Very Bad experiences as a young adult and the shame of allowing my fear to keep me from seeking preventative care, has caused me to need much worse than the ordinary unpleasantness. It makes it much worse that the chairs at the new dental school building are so terribly painful, even when I am doing well, and now with my back so very unhappy, I don't know if I will be able to cope. And surely all this worrying ahead of time is doing me no good at all...
※※※
Yesterday I turned my 1/3 yard of precious multicolor ikat into yards of bias trim. I then made a manila template for a differently shaped patch pocket, cut out the pockets for my new pinafore, stitched the binding to the upper edges, and carefully pressed the seam allowances under using the manila template. Leaving the pockets to sit on the ironing board overnight to cool means that they will be much easier to handle when I go to apply them to the pinafore, as it gives the folded edges a chance to "set" in their new shape.
The curved upper edge is something I really like about my usual pinafore pockets but I had been mulling over how to make with patch pockets. Prior to this brainstorm my best idea was to make curved double welt pockets, which seemed both difficult and excessive for a pinafore. (still want to learn how to make them, but not right now with the minimal brain that pain and medication have left me temporarily... stupid back is stupid)
※※※
charter painting seems to be the only really productive thing I am managing to do right now, as it can be worked on in dribs and drabs between appointments and mandatory sleeping enforced by my medication. For charter # 11, I've chosen a limited range of colors, inspired by this chart of plausible Viking Age pigments
Just a moderate amount of detail really makes a huge difference in how finished an image looks, before and after adding red fine-line details. And the finished charter:
※※※
※※※
September SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | charter # 10 | bathrobe hang-loop | - |
| 2 | fig sauce | x | - |
| 3 | seraph | x | - |
| 4 | charter # 11 | x | - |
| 5 | x | x | - |
| 6 | x | x | - |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |




Your pockets and paintings are beautiful. They do credit to your abilities.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I have the best dentist imaginable, there are things that I sometimes use to help me be more comfortable at the dentist. Keeping the heavy lead apron on during any procedure, being covered with a warm blanket or listening to music with earphones all are helpful. My dentist keeps a warm blanket in his office for just this purpose. If you tell the dentist of your fears, they can give you medicine to make you drowsy but you'd need someone to take you home afterwards.
thank you Carol, I am continuing to work on the new pinafore...
DeleteI am so glad I decided to try the nitrous gas, which helped me get a sense of separation from my fearful phobic aspect. I like the idea of listening to my own music...at some point I really want to find some earbuds with tiny ends, I broke my only set, and the others I have tried are for much larger ear-holes than I have...