Monday, October 22, 2012

monday musings


Well Sunday was a ton of fun! Despite the incredibly onerous having to get up at 5AM (so not the thing for this nightsider gal), going up to Glymm Mere A&S to judge all day was great. Was wonderful road-tripping with the delightful Khalja, and the event was one of those just the right size ones, with plenty of chances to connect with various old friends, and an impressive variety of entries in the competition. I was particularly taken with the illuminated calligraphy on calfskin parchment, by this lovely artisan, who was eager to share her knowledge about this art form and the materials used. The intricate tiny painted decorations were quite impressive.
the rabbit riding a dog was under an inch long actual size

The metalwork entry that I was going to judge was cancelled due to illness, and I also judged this pair of collars for small pet dogs, which was an uncommon choice for objects to re-create. I thought she did a competent job for her skill level, and we as judges were able to recommended a few possible sources where she could look for more information on leather-working techniques, and archaeological artifacts.

As out of branch Laurels, we also helped judge the finalists, which was difficult only in that both of the two top entries were kingdom level quality. A short side trip to Shipwreck Beads before heading home did not hurt anyone's feelings, and much great conversation made the trip home again go far too quickly... It really feels good to get back to my SCA life
≈:::≈

There have been a few inquiries lately about enameled regalia and jewelry, which has me feeling rather encouraged. If the universe sends me options for actually making artwork for people, I shall certainly follow that pathway, since that is something I have some skill with, and enjoy the process. Have been thinking about also starting up Open Studio nights again, probably on Thursday nights. If there is interest, folks that have taken my classes can come and work in the shop one night a week for a far lower cost than taking a workshop, and if no one shows up, I will still be working again, which feels really good even to contemplate. Maybe even an enamel workshop before the winter holidays...
≈:::≈

and just for a bit of Monday cheer:

Great Big Sea and The Chieftans do "Lukey"
≈:::≈

and for Patricia over at Butter Yum, who asked... My recipe for a small pound cake is actually posted on my blog here: "in which cakelets are baked". I originally found a recipe on the blog twelve22, which I modified into the lemon poppyseed recipe because I am not fond of chocolate. That recipe is no longer on her blog, or are any of her posts from that era. I am often happy to bake a small cake for when friends come over, and this recipe fits into a small decorative 6" jello mold, to create a cake with a decorative top, and as mentioned, one mixup of this one is also just the right size to fill the acorn cakelet mold one time. 'Tis a baby-bear's recipe, not too big, not too small, but just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed