Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thursday thoughts and tidbits

Somehow, with all the big wind last night, my dear little apple tree was completely broken off at the base, just below the graft. I am sad. It was only three years old, and had just started to produce apples this year. R.I.P. little Akane. I shall send a message to B, to see if it is possible to take scionwood cuttings from the branches.

Tonight my tasks are to make more progress in the advanced directive workbook, and write some necessary letters. For fun, I'm going to do some quick design sketches for a SWAP storyboard, and then photograph them so as to be able to transfer the images into digital form. Am delighted that V has already posted her sketches and ideas; mustn't be too slow about getting mine up there too!

Wish book came yesterday, the Christmas 2001 gift catalog from Lee Valley. It would be really easy for me to find something useful and desirable on pretty much any page in there, (well probably not the woodturning tools, or the childrens toys, but other than that...) Of course, after the last night, maybe a catalog from One Green World, or Raintree would be welcome.

There was a gap in the wind and rain this morning, so I took advantage and used the time to clear out the henhouse floor, and give the girls fresh wood shavings. They are still moulting! The inside of their house was covered in a layer of feathers, like a tweedy carpet. Hopefully by the time all the new feathers are grown in they will be warm for the winter; I really miss having fresh eggs though. Did a tiny bit more in the backyard, tipped over the composter and moved the framework to the top of the driveway in front. I know, 'tis not on the earth as would be ideal, but is in a very convenient spot for yard debris from the front yard. I would have also moved the smallish heap of remaining compost in the backyard, but it was starting to really rain by then, and our plucky heroine was finding that cranky-knee was really wanting to stop now! Still, it feels really good to make progress, even if it is so slow. There is always more to do than lifetime to do it in...

Actually, the last week my cranky knee has been really degrading in function, to the point of not really wanting to be walked on, waking me up from sleep if I move it, limping when walking... While knees are not only delicate joints, but one of my particular banes, I am also wondering what part of this current flareup is related to my upcoming surgery. I am stubbornly moving forward despite how I feel. Only 3+ days now... Have long known that I store tension about "standing my ground" in the backs of my legs, all kinds of odd stuff comes up if massage therapy manages to loosen anything up there (Oh how I miss getting regular massage, has been years now since that was a part of life, but kept me healthy for a long time). Feels a bit like my strong will is moving forward but my body is saying no. And am not allowed aspirin, due to upcoming surgery; tried acetaminophen but it is not doing much of anything. Really wish that I could shift my feelings to confident acceptance, (anticipation would really be asking too much), but this sense of fatalistic dread is so not helpful. Of course, there could actually be something wrong with my knee, and if it continues at this level of pain after Monday, I intend to get it looked at. Sometimes I feel like a bit like the one-hoss-shay, I hope my warranty is not expired!

But enough with the whinging already... there is still a lot of beauty all around the world. Whilst rambling round, found this most lovely evocative little animated film - take ten minutes and enjoy it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed