Tuesday, September 9, 2025

sleep hygiene

in which our plucky heroine attempts to readjust...

I am making good use of the alarm function on my phone to re-train my sleep-wake cycle. Yesterday was a sort of total mess, with much too long a nap from about 11am to 8pm. Then cooking a much too late dinner, finally sorting out the marmalade, which finally finished up past midnight. So I set my alarm for 7:30 this morning. Then when I was tired by around 3 in the afternoon, I set the alarm to only let me sleep for an hour.
※※※

~ tangy ~
Eight jars, six half pints and two quarter pints. Since I forgot my intention to use part lemon and part orange (to better imitate the flavor of Meyer lemons in the original recipe) the finished marmalade is very tangy. This is not a bad thing. The texture is really good, cooking the lemon+peel first in water (suggested in Kevin West's chapters on marmalade) keeps the peel tender, and tiny fig seeds add just a bit of unexpectedly pleasant crunch. 
※※※

Rode my bike to the hardware store just before lunch, though it was already getting quite hot out. The main street intersections were full of students heading out for lunches at fast food or food carts, so I needed to ride extra carefully; usually I have already done my out of the house errands long beforehand. Picked up some super glue to begin fixing the floor bracket for the little oil filled radiator. The bracket cracked in half, so once stuck back in the correct configuration with glue, I can reinforce and strengthen it with some of the Milliput epoxy putty, and it will be back in service this winter
※※※

One of the housewarming gifts years ago were some cyclamen starts from my friend Kat. They survived underneath the sage and the hardy fuchsia, and have also somehow scattered around the front yard. Originally pink, they have mutated? reverted? to white, and seeing the little butterfly shaped flowers here and there brings happy thoughts about my friend. 
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 4 barkcloth tea towels box fan grille  greenwaste bin
2 yellow triangle pouch--
3 knitted pony- -
4 8 jars quince apple 
rosewater sauce
- -
5 6+ jars fig lemon
marmalade
- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
- cyclamen are blooming in various places around the front yard, courtesy of a few starts from my friend Kat many years ago
- the bag of latex gloves I got from Nicole years ago is almost but not completely empty; I use them for when I have to deal with hot peppers, or for things like epoxy.
- there is a new episode of the Great British Sewing Bee to watch today, and Kim once again shares a link that works for those of us on this side of the pond...

Time of Isolation - Day 1906

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed