Saturday, September 7, 2024

Saturday snippets

in which our plucky heroine looks forward to cooler days to come...

Despite the heat, there are already plenty of signs of the seasons turning... Various berries and fruits begin to be visible on trees and bushes. A charm of goldfinches rose ahead of my bicycle early this morning, flashing upwards into the sky.
※※※

~ plentitude ~
.
The pomegranate is the first I have seen over the fence into a local garden, though I have read that they can grow in our zone, and seeing one on the plant IRL will be helpful in my drawing them in the future According to my blog records, on the other hand, it has been ten years since last I (successfully) experimented with using poke berries to get a good red dye on wool. No one minds if you pick berries from alley weeds.
※※※

Thursday afternoon it was 104 on my front porch, while Friday afternoon it "only" made it to about 102. This wave over the next few days is likely the last gasp of summer heat for this year. I bless the heat pump.
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 a dozen tetras
porch valance
plum logs
2 tiny doll shorts
mask elastics
oldest pinafore
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes-
1. phone chat with Ursel was great body doubling for me to get back to my scribal efforts, and I made good progress on the Scythian background of interminable tiny dotted texture
2. the art store had several different options for paper for block printing, and once I cut strips I can start on the textile livestock book, my next Advent Swap item. (well some for the swap, and some just because I have pals who like tiny things)
3. homemade "Goddess Dressing" is so yummy, particularly when made with Soom tahini (thank you Jenna for turning me on to that delicious ingredient), and one recipe lasts me for about a week of everyday salad dressing. Is also delicious instead of mayo for use in tuna, egg, or noodle salads:

Tahini Goddess Salad Dressing
⅓ c oil
2¾ T tahini
2½ T cider vinegar
2 t tamari
2¼ t lemon juice
¾ t salt
1 T minced parsley
1 T minced chives
1 minced clove garlic
(or ¼ t garlic granules)
Mix together the tahini and the oil first,
to allow the tahini to be smoothly incorporated.
Then mix in all the other ingredients.
You can add some water at the end,
if the dressing is thicker than you prefer.

※※※

Time of Isolation - Day 1518

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed