I remember the first time I tried origami, I couldn't have been more than 6 years old, as we were still living in Connecticut. There was a gift of what seemed like a big book, with colorful diagrams and lots of paper. Ever since, on occasion, I have enjoyed turning something flat into something dimensional.
For the Advent of A Better Year in 2025 swap, one of the rules is that all the tiny gifts need to be pre-wrapped, as it would drive me bonkers to have to wrap everyone's contributions. Still, I figure that sharing tutorials in case anyone else enjoys origami might be helpful, as it is an easy way to create pretty wrappings for gifts. Also, I can test out the instructions and figure out the correct size of paper to start with, to get a finished piece that is 1¼" square... This box is folded to become a cube with an attached lid. If you start with a 5¼" square, the finished box is just the right size (1¼" square), here you can see I have stuffed it with a half dozen of the flower-top boxes... This shape turns out a little too flimsy when made in ordinary origami paper; so something just a little heavier works better... This box is very flat - suitable for holding a more 2D gift, such as a small painting or print, or even a surprise fortune? I'd been wanting to try folding this design for a while, as I've been fascinated by Zhen Xian Bao for years now, but never tried making any of the several styles of components that they require. If you start with a rectangle that is 2½" x 5" you will get a finished box that is 1¼" square...
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | a dozen tetras | porch valance | plum logs |
| 2 | tiny doll shorts | mask elastics | oldest pinafore |
| 3 | Almandine clothing | - | recycle bin |
| 4 | skirt for Opal | - | yard waste bin |
| 5 | cardigan for Opal | - | recycle bin |
| 6 | black top for Opal | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. Roxanne, who I met online as part of the extended family of Tiny Rag Doll enthusiasts, kindly offered to send me some small scraps of Kaffe Fassett fabric for tinyworld doll clothing and decoration. What arrived here was an entire mailer box absolutely packed with scraps of colorful quilting cotton! I shall have plenty for future dolly garment sewing, and am even considering a bright colorwash miniature patchwork quilt this winter, as an homage to the style of Kate at The Last Homely House... I'm so not a quilter, have only ever made three full size ones, but miniature quilts are much faster to make...
2. I found my missing TriMet Hop Card (transit pass). For some reason tucked into the scanner/printer?? Was a relief, since I had just reloaded the card last week.
3. The scraps of black silk made a wonderful spooky season top for Opal to wear with her pumpkin colored camisole and skirt
Time of Isolation - Day 1532


No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed