Just before lunchtime, Jason the HVAC technician showed up today. That high-pitched whining sound coming from the new heat pump air fan turned out to have a simple cause, and a straightforward fix. The outer vanes on the newly installed auxiliary air return vent were vibrating. Bending them further outward "tightened" them just enough to quiet the troublesome sound. It's a good day when I learn something new! a beautiful ceramic button, in some of my favorite colors...
※※※
My grey linen pinafore, which I made in 2020, is worn to a raveling... The sides of the bodice need either patched or reinforced somehow, as on one side, my thumb went through the fabric when I was doing laundry. I suspect I will have to salvage fabric from the inside of the pocketing, and use it, and then patch the inner pocket with different fabric. So, lifespan of pinafore worn often (made of 4C22 heavyweight linen from fabricsstore.com) is about three years. Good to know, and my next pinafores will have fabric scraps set aside for repairs.
※※※
I've started patching the holes in the wall from the former thermostat. The spackle doesn't fill ⅝" large holes, so I cut a scrap of cheesecloth, and have used PVA to glue it to the wall to provide support. Hoping that will do the trick.
※※※
As part of my preparation for the new heat system here, I needed to replace the ceiling vent register in the bedroom, which was no longer adjustable. After calling multiple local hardware stores to find one that was the right size, with no luck at all, I ended up at the big box website, which not only had one in stock, but offered free next day shipping. So today, after it arrived on my doorstep, I installed it in the bedroom ceiling. I have decided that I need to get a taller ladder, my wonderful step stool only gets me 22"
※※※
December SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | 7 jars quince | kitchen plumbing | old plumbing |
| 2 | dried pears | heat pump installed | old furnace |
| 3 | dried persimmons | return vent vanes | high pitched whine |
| 4 | - | bedroom register | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. removing the whine from the new system turned out to just require getting a little bent. That is, shifting the angle of the vent vanes quieted the whole thing down! Whew!
2. new bedroom ceiling vent register
3. everyday life is trending to improve
Time of Isolation - Day 1252

No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed