...in order to replace the defunct furnace with a more efficient heat pump system, the house had up to five people in and out of it this today. There are thumpings and bangings, all necessary, but disturbing nonetheless. The doings remain mysterious, and I feel unable to do any of my own projects. I've had to ask several to wear masks, but they do cooperate willingly, if forgetfully. I also ran both air filters all day long. It was a whole day of massive disruption, as the old furnace was taken to bits and removed, and the new machinery installed. Finally after about 9 hours, it was all mostly done.
I have one primary concern which is that when the "air handler" unit comes on, it creates a high pitched whine sound that is really obtrusive and unpleasant. Since one of the selling points of the heat pump system is supposedly "very quiet operation" inside the house, I'm concerned that something isn't right. The company will be sending out a technician tomorrow. Also, the workers set the thermostat to 70!?! which is much warmer than I prefer, and I can't figure out how to change the setting, which makes me feel right stupid. Hopefully the technician can do better at explaining the basics of how to operate the thermostat, as the manual is entirely impenetrable.
I don't know what is wrong with me... would not normal folks be happy at this point to have a shiny new system that will keep the temperature moderate and comfortable. I hope that once my internal equilbrium returns to centered, I will feel good, maybe even as good as I did in early November. But right now I still feel very anxious, and shaky, though warm... Today's tiny gift here at Acorn Cottage was a little wreath/ring of shiny green beads. Given that it was attached to a nice little split ring, it will join my knitting stitch markers, since the house here is way too small to have a holiday tree
※※※
Since I was too frazzled to get any work done today, not to mention there were people all over the house, all I managed to do was some kitchen efforts. I turned the baked eggplant from yesterday into a casserole, something between lasagna and eggplant parmesan. I also refilled the food dehydrator (with persimmons this time), and then peeled the grapefruit and began turning it into candied peel. There will be fruitcake this year.
※※※
The bad news is that there is not just water leakage in the workroom ceiling, but apparently also in the part of the roof adjacent to where the furnace vent was located, in the main part of the house roof. They showed me photos. Just one damnthing after another. I am now filled with anxiety, instead of feeling calmer and pleased about having heat.
※※※
December SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | 7 jars quince | kitchen plumbing | old plumbing |
| 2 | dried pears | heat pump installed | old furnace |
| 3 | - | - | - |
| 4 | - | - | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. After I accidentally dropped my beloved "The Shortest Day" picture book behind the (eight foot long, four foot tall) hallway bookcase, I was dreading needing to remove all the books so it could be moved enough to retrieve it. Amazingly, it was caught by the cord of the power strip, and I was able to carefully pull it upwards until I could just reach it. And fortunately as well, it was undamaged by the sojourn.
2. It isn't cold in the house any more.
3. I cleverly asked that the new thermostat could be placed a little closer to the hallway, so it would be easier to see, and (eventually) easier to adjust as needed.
4. a whole big Fido jar full of dried pears. If I can get some more pears, I will make more...
Time of Isolation - Day 1251

Yay! warmth in the cold :-). It is invasive when there are lots of workmen in your house but they've gone now and your equilibrium will return. I've also found that work in one area on a house shows up needed work in another area, so I just take a deep breath and contact those people. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruthie! Thanks for your words of encouragement... It is nice to not have to dress like I am an arctic explorer inside my own house now!
Delete~ Alison aka Indigotiger
So glad you have heat again. I wish technical writers would test their instructions by submitting them to an old lady like me to see if they are understood and usable. That never happens now, I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteHi Carol! - the heat is a treat for certain, and I am very hopeful that being able to push the "cool" button will be even more welcome in the summertime. I don't think that the companies even bother with "real" technical writers any more, but maybe use AI??
Delete~ Alison