Tuesday, June 13, 2023

if at first you don't succeed...

in which our plucky heroine has another partially successful day...

More modest progress on assorted fronts - Mt Washmore is completely if temporarily gone, and soon I will be able to say the same about Mt Dishmore. I made tasty food today and tried cooking something new (scrambled egg encased in rice paper... was okay, but not a keeper). I volunteered to give a speed talk about the usefulness of 100 day projects. The weather was tolerable, if sunny.
※※※

~ tinyprint Tuesday~
.
I think it is day 32 of the 100 days of printmaking. I have sort of lost the specific count somehow, but am still putting in some time every day of course! Today I wanted to work on the first image for F is for fun - "fan". My first attempt to create a block with the image of a box fan really didn't translate into something readily comprehensible, so I decided to start over with K's suggestion of a vintage style table fan. Much better image this time!
※※※

I've started on the other half of the patchwork additions, and done square 1/20. It is looking quite impressive draped across the futon couch. At this rate it will be completed sometime in July, which might be just in time for it to be Really Useful, or at least to be a really pretty bedspread...
※※※

Each day I am also putting in some time on the daypack project. This morning I finished cutting out the leather bottom, and sewed it to the front panel. Tomorrow I plan on cutting out the back panel and reinforcing it with interfacing. One step at a time will yield a good result. In addition I did a bit more with sorting out the cards for the rainbow tablet weaving project. Once I clear off the shelf I use for weaving, I will be able to set up the vertical loom.
※※※

Today Turquoise showed me a different SI joint stretch that they have found helpful. I tried it and it seemed to make a difference. At first it was really uncomfortable, but gradually I could feel my lower back relaxing, which felt rather odd. Then I fell asleep! I am going to try it again.
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 some quilt squares
tea rose temperature
rose and grapevines
2 tinyprint fox
partial backyard mown
some grass
3 arm protectors
Acantha cereal bowl
some more grass
4 moar quilt squares
- recycle bin
5 tinyprint fan
- yard waste bin
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. a helpful stretch for my crankypants SI joint
2. Past Me puts tasty food in freezer - potsticker lunch
3. Excellent chat with Mikki

Time of Isolation - Day 1087

3 comments:

  1. Your vintage fan stamp is too cute! A fabric printed with the stamp would be fun. Would it seem to say, "I'm my own fan?"
    I'm eager to see the finished patchwork. Maybe one patch could have a fan printed on it.
    Very, very eager to learn of the SI joint exercise. Many, many people have lower back pain, including me, and an exercise to provide some relief would be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol... Not sure I want to print fabric overall with a stamp that is less than an inch square, though a small singular decorative patch would be doable.

      The SI joint stretch that Turquoise suggested to me looks a little wierd but did provide me a bit of temporary comfort. Basically you lie face down on the bed with your head just over the edge, so that the side of the bed is supporting your chin - you don't want your head to flop downward, but to be basically in line with your spine. Then you place a small cushion or a thin pillow underneath your tummy and hips, and just relax into the stretch. The first time I did it it felt really uncomfortable, and gradually my back relaxed and the pain decreased. The second day I tried it alas, it didn't help as much, so your mileage may vary.

      Delete
  2. I really really like the printmaking, A!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed