Wednesday, May 17, 2023

wistful Wednesday

in which our plucky heroine remembers the Before Times...

This morning I got up early to ride over to the bike shop, to drop my trusty steed off for the remaining needed refurbishments (and I asked if they could add a kickstand to my bike while it was in there getting work done anyway). It was already quite warm before I arrived there at 10 when they opened. It took me about 1¾ hours to get home on transit, since it required three different transfers, and the heat and sunshine were really opressive by the time I returned to Acorn Cottage.

While I was walking along Alberta to the first bus stop, I was washed over by a wave of sorrow, remembering the comparative ease of how it was when I first came to the city, when exploring and adventuring were an option, when I didn't have to ration my entry into shops and buildings with exquisite care to minimise the time spent indoors, when if there was something particularly appealing for a snack, my only concern was "can I afford this luxury" and not, in addition, is this luxury of a restaurant treat something that I can carry home so I can safely eat it, and that will still be edible after several hours in my day pack?...
※※※

~ printmaking project ~
day 17/100 Yesterday was, as always "tinyprint Tuesday".  Had this image in my sketchbook for a while, so turned it into a little 1" square linocut print. It turned out better than I expected.

※※※

I just finished adding the first grey layer to my Akita print, and I think I made an error with the color of the ink. It looks much too dark to me, and I may need to overprint it with a lighter grey before adding the two final layers, in order to get an appropriate value range. Ooops! Or, maybe I could call that layer the dark grey, cut that away and print the lighter grey and then the black?
※※※

Made such a yummy slaw for dinner: red cabbage, yellow peppers, carrots, green onions, mango, avocado, with a lime/rice vinegar/fish sauce/olive oil/mint/thai basil dressing, and cashews as a garnish.... (Instagram inspired, but using what I had on hand here, though I picked up a mango on the way home from the bike shop). This was good enough that I will have to make it again!
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 grey canvas hat
front yard mowed
apple tree prunings
2 tiny pomegranate
hooks on drying rack
more dead ferns
3 print drying hooks
scarf printed
recycle bin
4 layer 1/5 linoprint
re-done engraving
-
5 layer 2/5 linoprint
- -
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. The bike shop requires masking!
2. It felt a bit easier today to ride the three miles to the bike shop than it did last week
3. I have the resources to make myself healthy food, and a kitchen and tools to make the food in, and a safe and quiet place to eat.

Time of Isolation - Day 1064


a bird list for Kestrel: House Finch, Scrub Jay, Crow,...

2 comments:

  1. Your slaw sounds delish! Will have to try to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe that inspired me was from Smitten Kitchen:
      https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/07/mango-slaw-with-cashews-and-mint/

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed