Thursday, May 18, 2023

the good, the bad, and the annoyingly messy

in which our plucky heroine had ups and downs...

Woke up early enough that I was able to get in a good long walk before the weather became opressively hot. Which was good, but even so, adding in the extra mile meant that by the time I got home again I was exhausted. Which was okay, because how else will I get stronger.
※※※

~ printmaking progress ~
Day 18/100 - My idea of just going ahead with overprinting with a lighter grey seems to have worked, more or less... When I look at the print so far, which doesn't really look how I envisioned it before I began, I must keep reminding myself that this is very much an XP1 project, that I have never done this sort of thing before, and that there are a lot of variables inherent in this process.
※※※

Last thing last night I opened the fridge, and out fell the plastic container full of cooked rice. Which burst open at my feet. The rice will go in the compost, and one important chore of today will be to wash the floor (I mean, I cleaned it up well enough at the time, but still...) and the other will be to cook up another batch of rice!
※※※

I think that "How To Keep House While Drowning" is a very useful book. I am on my second listen to the audiobook, and have some different thoughts than I usually do about my situation.
※※※

It is the time of year when the duvet gets put away, and lighter bedclothes take its place. One of these years I will finish up the patchwork I cut out when I first moved here to Acorn Cottage. I got a quarter of the way through and just bailed. Patchwork just isn't my jam, apparently... It is all up in a box in the top of the closet in the small bedroom, and would make  a pretty bit of summer bedding. All it would need is to be backed with a flannel sheet. Maybe one of these years...
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 grey canvas hat
front yard mowed
apple tree prunings
2 tiny pomegranate
hooks on drying rack
more dead ferns
3 print drying hooks
scarf printed
recycle bin
4 layer 1/5 linoprint
re-done engraving
-
5 layer 2/5 linoprint
- -
6 layer 3/5 linoprint
x x
7 layer 4/5 linoprint
x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. It could have been eggs. And it wasn't.
2. walked over three miles today
3. my bike is ready to be picked up from the shop

Time of Isolation - Day 1065

a bird list for Kestrel: House Finch, Scrub Jay, Crow,...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book mention. I'm hold #40 on the list of people requesting this book from the Denver Public Library.
    Re your patchwork: maybe if you cut it up to sew together in a new way it would re-energize you. Lots of ideas on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever stitched together a quarter of the quilt top, the rest is all in individual small pieces. I just found the whole process boring rather than satisfying, even though it would be pleasant to have additional summer bedding. I'm just not a quilter, however much I admire what others create; I've only ever made two quilts in my whole lifelong sewing journey.

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed