Yesterday I learned a new embroidery/sewing stitch, actual buttonhole stitch instead of blanket stitch! It has a very different function, and is a lot more stable. Took a bit of doing to figure out the best way to hold and wrap the thread, but it will prove useful not just in the tinyworld, but also whenever I decide to make some actual buttonholes!
I decided to make a Viking style flag as one of the miniature heraldic display examples, using my primary SCA badge for the motif. The materials are wool fabric and felt, horsehair, and embroidery floss; the blue wool is a relic from Flieg's tunic. The flag style is inspired by the bronze Viking Age "weathervane" artifacts, though this quarter circle is only 2" across. It is a single layer of wool fabric, with the edges all finished with buttonhole stitch:
I also intend to make a miniature Japanese nobori style flag with one of my alternate badges, and also some miniature bookbinding, as I figure a nicely bound blank book (with their heraldry painted on the cover) will be a good prize for the winner of the challenge...
※※※
Did a minor bit of refurbishment: filling of nail holes and touching up wall paint in the bathroom, as I noticed once putting up the additional hooks that the wall was looking a bit shabby in places. Still working on decorative painting of the embossed trim boards for the rest of the wall around the sink.
Sewing, sewing, sewing like the wind yesterday in order to get the indigo tiger popover dress done before the Sewing Nomads meeting this morning. I woke up extra early after a night of most peculiar dreams, and finished the very last bit: a narrow bias binding faced hemline. The rayon fabric is lovely and lightweight, but so very wiggly to work with. I decided to temporarily starch the neckline in order to work with it more easily. It is simple to mix up cornstarch and water, and just dab it on where needed and let it dry (though cooking up the starch works even better) this only needed a tiny bit, as the rest of the dress was mostly assembled. The last time I made myself a new summer dress was in 2019, so the indigo tiger dress is a very welcome addition - we have at least several more weeks of summertime yet to come...
※※※
August SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Kestrel apron | ironing cart | yard waste bin |
| 2 | tiny armchair | shims for molding | recycle bin |
| 3 | tiny plate rack | tub trim added | ancient printer |
| 4 | four hair snoods | pruned quince + plum | yard waste bin |
| 5 | snood and pillow | added bathroom hooks | recycle bin |
| 6 | indigo tiger dress | worm bin refreshed | x |
| 7 | x | bathroom wall touch-up | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - oh my what a treat, today was Not Hot! It cooled off enough overnight that I was able to get the indoor temperature here at Acorn Cottage to a pleasant 68F, at least for a while in the early morning! And it didn't really heat up too badly this afternoon either...
Time of Isolation - Day 911



And the Indigo Tiger dress looked fantastic on you! Great job using all the bits of the fabric to get the dress!
ReplyDeleteGee thanks! I only have a tiny tiny handful of the fabric leftover, one of the narrow upside down tigers triangles, and the piece from the center of the neckline opening... I will save those in the box I have of "pieces of fabric for mending" where I put small bits of various garment fabric in case they are needed
Delete