Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Tuesday tidbits

in which our plucky heroine wakes up tired...

The Dreamlands last night was strange and full of potential conflict unpleasant, exhausting, and disturbing. From walking along a busy elevated highway verge and across bridges taking photos of analog San Francisco, to walking through a hot dusty urban environment with men lined up for food relief and vaccination tents, to dodging around corners to be less visible to soldiers and grateful for my head to toe garments that made me look more like I belonged there. Sometimes in the Dreamlands I have a task, sometimes I have allies, sometimes I can parse out my dreams, and sometimes they are just a mystery.
※※※

time in the tinyworld:
Among the various miniature tidbits I brought home from back East is this little porcelain doll. She is quite a bit smaller than Nandina et al, more the size of a six year old. Apparently I didn't feel confident to make her clothing back in the day, as she is simply wrapped in fabric with a strand of beads as a belt. She too may end up living in Tansu Terrace... though she will need both a name, and some clothes.  My friend Ariadne suggested that she looks like an Emilia, and I think therefore, that her name is Emilia Kaolin... known by an assortment of nicknames as well (Emmy, Em-kay, K, etc)
※※※

Making progress on the attachment of the side rails. Using the combination square together with the wide metal ruler allowed easily marking an even depth from the top edge of the wooden sides, despite their rounded reeded edging. C-clamps held the steel side rails in place so as to drill placement holes for the screws. It still required rather a lot of wrist strength to do the actual attachment, until I remembered to simply use the phillips screw bit in the electric drill. I suppose if I did this sort of thing more often, I would remember these little clevernesses.

The attachment of the center support is the next needful bit. By resting it in the rope web, I was reassured that there is enough give in the ropes that there is room for the depth of that steel U-channel without my needing to remove the rope web from the bed. I would rather keep it in place as a backup, and also to avoid the several hours it would take to unlace the bed. Placing the brackets that hold the center support in place is a challenge I've not yet figured out, since those brackets do not end up at a matching height to the side rails. Heigh ho and onward. Once the assorted bed support hardware is in place, the rest of this project will hopefully be straightforward: Place slats, staple textile strips, unroll mattress, et voila!
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Kestrel's friends clothes replace clothesline
yard waste bin
2 tiny green flannel dress
repair Nandina overalls
recycle bin
3 individual cheesecake 
sew buttons on blouse
-
4 -
old mattress off bed
-
5 -
bed slats shorter
-
6 - Nandina overall pockets
-
7 x move towel holder
x
8 x bedrails attached
x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude
- determination to surmount fear

Time of Isolation - Day 813

2 comments:

  1. She has such a sweet face! I look forward to seeing how you will dress her. I think she will fit right in with your tinies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does have a lovely face and Emilia is a perfect name. And Tansu Terrace... :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed