Wednesday, June 8, 2022

this one is just right

in which our plucky heroine returns from the guest room...

Yesterday's tasks included shaping small oak wedges (with rasp and saw and sandpaper) to hold the slat mat in a fully extended orientation. Because I can't just go to the hardware store and buy four bolts. Which would be faster, but people sans masks. So rasp rasp rasp to make wedges... incremental progress is making a visible difference. I deeply miss having a nice ramble through a good hardware store, of which we are graced with several...

Once that was done, it was time to figure out how to get the compressed rolled up mattress up onto the bed frame. I didn't weigh it, but it was heavier than I could lift, which complicated things. After considering several alternatives, and even attempting to create a ramp by wedging some lumber between the bed and the shoe-bench, my final successful effort involved finding various sturdy wooden boxes of different heights, and "walking" the vertical cylinder back and forth until it was high enough to topple into the bedframe. Success at last! Now just airing the mattress out, and tonight will be back in the actual bedroom after several months sleeping on the guest futon.

the slat mat on the bedframe
※※※

Have I mentioned recently how very much I long for universal singular health care? I have been on the phone all morning attempting to get a single necessary prescription transferred to a pharmacy that has a drive up window, so I don't have to go into the store to pick it up, since my most local former pharmacy no longer delivers... Gah! It still isn't sorted out. And once it is, I will need to ride my bike to the drive up window (after 2 pm when they finally open), get a passel of paperwork to fill out, go fill that out, come back again and sign it while they see me signing it, and only then they can pull the prescription if they still have it in stock. This is assuming that they will even allow me to use the drive up window while on my bike, which someone told me is not always allowed (and if it isn't I don't know what I will do...) Tune in tomorrow for the further adventures of Grumpy Gal!
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Kestrel's friends clothes replace clothesline
yard waste bin
2 tiny green flannel dress
repair Nandina overalls
recycle bin
3 individual cheesecake 
sew buttons on blouse
yard waste bin
4 -
old mattress off bed
recycle bin
5 -
bed slats shorter
-
6 - Nandina overall pockets
-
7 x move towel holder
x
8 x bedrails attached
x
9 x slat mat completed
x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude
-  I love my Powershot staple gun. Even though I have wee little paws the size of a childs, I can still run it whenever needed. It made attaching the strapping to the bed slats easy peasy. Having good tools makes me really happy! There is enough to struggle with and against in this bright world without adding extra...
Time of Isolation - Day 814

6 comments:

  1. Hurray for the new mattress being put to use! I hope the prescription irritation gets resolved quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! new mattress is a real treat, I call it "baby bears bed" because of how it isn't too hard (like the old futon in the guest room), and it isn't too squishy (like my old mattress) but really just right....

      The prescription was filled, but only halfway. Enough to get me through this blip, but I'm definitely going to look into what it will take to get set up for meds by mail.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you did a beautiful job creating the slat platform

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carol! These sorts of projects are always a real challenge for me, to a large extent because I lack confidence, and to a lesser extent when I lack specific skills, tools, or actual physical strength. My poor back is finally somewhat less annoyed with me, after the struggle last week with the squishy heavy old mattress which caused mighty strains and soreness. One of my pals was really shocked that I had cut all the slats with a hand saw, but needs must. Nonetheless, at the end of each day now, a truly comfy and stable bed is there for me to relax into, which makes the struggle worth it

      Delete
  3. Ah...having good tools makes me happy, too. :) And I love that you creatively got your bed issues all sorted out. That will be comfy.

    I am a fan of universal/single payer health care, although we are only now building in pharmacare up here. I have pharmaceutical coverage through my work insurance, but generally it is very easy to get prescriptions filled, etc. I know it's a hot button topic for many, and our system is constantly requiring renovation, but I am still a fierce proponent/advocate.

    I completely understand why you are avoiding going to stores. I have been to quite a few lately and so far no issues. I started to trust one way masking a bit more after being in airplanes and airports with lots of unmasked people over the last six months. I always wear an excellent, well-fitting N95. So far so good. I suppose my trip in a couple of weeks will be a test, although fortunately I believe that the Canadian government is still requiring masks on airplanes departing from Canada (although of course once up in the air people tend to take their masks off and linger over their drinks...). We'll see. I do understand though why you would not want to take any risks at all. I'm even asking myself whether I need to do some errands this weekend, given that I'm planning to travel in nine days.

    Enjoy the bed!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed