There are eversomany things that need doing here, every day I've been trying to make progress, even if it is just Mt Dishmore, or Mt Washmore. Gradually putting away what has piled up over the last few months. Planning out some future projects, whether sewing for me, or scribal for others, or gifts for friends. Doing what I can to face forward despite the overwhelming state of the world...
※※※
Wondering about rearranging the contents of the tansu chest in order to use the largest compartment as another large miniature room, with the dollhouses and conservatory sitting on the top. Currently all I store in the tansu are my scarves, my SCA clothing, and a few oddements. It would be awesome to use it instead to store all my miniature things, the furniture, the accessories and various specific supplies. Hmmmm. Food for thought. Wonder where I could store the scarves instead? The SCA clothing could go back in the SCA closet. All part of my goal of having the way the house is set up so that it supports what makes my life better...
Last year I found this Miyazaki-esqe "soot sprite" knit fabric. Decided that getting enough to make a shirt for young Kestrel was an excellent idea. Kiddo grows so quickly that I hope I have guessed correctly about the size. Sent the photo to the adults, and Ariadne said that K actually gasped in delight, so I was happy all the rest of the evening. Making gifts for folks is one of my greatest joys...
※※※
I've spoken to my mother a few times on the phone, as she is continuing to adjust to her new life in the care home. We get messages from Peace, her current caregiver, and a weekly report of the activities she attends, and so far there is a lot more social time than she had for the last several years. I hope that is giving her some pleasure, since she was often fond of meeting and doing things with people, in her past life. Somehow, the living in the now doesn't look so zen, when it is flavored with dementia. We got a heads up that it may soon be possible for her to move to the actual memory care unit of the building. Which will be both good, as she will be in a more structured environment, and difficult, as it will be another adjustment for her to make. I can only hope that since she has very little short term memory, that it will not be too painful for her. I know that she has been getting along well with Peace, but once she moves, we won't need a 24/7 caregiver for her, as that is included in memory care, but having a good rapport with the actual care attendants makes a huge difference. I wish I wasn't 3000 miles away.
※※※
June SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Kestrel's friends clothes | replace clothesline | yard waste bin |
| 2 | tiny green flannel dress | repair Nandina overalls | recycle bin |
| 3 | individual cheesecake | sew buttons on blouse | yard waste bin |
| 4 | shirt for Kestrel | old mattress off bed | recycle bin |
| 5 | - | bed slats shorter | - |
| 6 | - | Nandina overall pockets | - |
| 7 | x | move towel holder | x |
| 8 | x | bedrails attached | x |
| 9 | x | slat mat completed | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - I have options. And I also have people who I love.
Time of Isolation - Day 816

I loved seeing your sewn top/gift today! It brightened my day and I am sure will brighten young Kestrel's life, too. I wanted to ask how your mom was doing and how you are doing, too. It must be a difficult adjustment for you. I understand how difficult it is to be so far away from loved ones.
ReplyDeleteI agree wholeheartedly with arranging your things and your home in a way that makes your life pleasant and easy. When I was in my twenties and thirties I had a friend who was all about making her life as comfortable as it could possibly be. About everything, e.g., where she shopped, how close she lived to a Metro stop, etc., she would say, looking at me, "Stephanie...EASY! That's the name of the game." It makes me laugh as I think of it, and in fact I suppose I am thinking of that friend as it will be her birthday this week. :)
I thought the mini wardrobe you shared today was so beautiful! I just loved it. I was wondering if maybe you could put a little surprise of some kind in Kestrel's pocket, e.g, a tiny doll or something like that, peeking out. :)
Hi Stephanie!
DeleteI am doing okay, if feeling rather flat adjusting to my dad being gone and my mom sliding into dementia. Perhaps it seems odd for someone of my advanced age to feel their loss so much, but in the times before the pandemic, and even well into the last few years, I spoke with them on the phone several times a week... far more often than most of my friends had contact with their parents. It is sad now, even though my mom is in a good care home, that has many scheduled activities every day for the residents, my mom is not really participating (we get a weekly report of what scheduled activities she attends), sadly says that she is bored. She is not so far gone as to not remember her former life, but also not having quite the capacity to fling herself into building a new life without my father.
Most of all being without her beloved husband, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be uprooted from all that is familiar, and have a whole new set of unknown people, eating food different than what one ate in the past, and having an entirely different and scheduled routine of daily living. I can only phone her every day or two, and send photos to her digital picture frame.
I must say that your comment about adding a little surprise to the pocket of Kestrel's shirt inspired me to make her a tiny stuffed giraffe... I used my toymaking patternmaking skills from years ago, and am sure that she will find it a pleasing addition to her toys...