Sunday, June 5, 2022

seeking better sleep

in which our plucky heroine begins changing out the mattress support system...

The new mattress needs flat slats, and that means adding side bed rail brackets and a center steel rail and bracket, all to support the slats. Which also means removing the current mattress. Acorn Cottage is so small that things like this are rather like a game of Tetris. There is no place in the entire house to put the current mattress where it will not be in the way.

The process of removing the old mattress from the bed did not go well. It has no solidity and is very heavy, so pulling it off the bedframe and out the doorway ended up with a partially curled up and folded mattress blocking the hallway and the bathroom door. I then decided that removing the sheet of plywood from the bedframe would possibly allow it to support the mattress to stand sideways against the bookcase. Ummm sort of... maybe... but the only way that was not going to fall cattywhompus across the hallway diagonally is to wedge the plywood in place with the living room chairs! So now the hall is almost blocked, only passable by moving and then replacing the chairs one at a time! Remind me again why I started this...

Oh, right...I'm just really tired of not sleeping in my own bed. And tired of being afraid to tackle this project. My house is such a disorganized mess right now, and this is a big something I can change, if it doesn't break me in the process. Now not only does my back hurt, but I forgot to account for the many years the bedframe 2 x 10 sides were in place, being pulled ever-so-slightly inward by the lashing ropes. The slats that will fit at the head/foot (which is where I measured before sawing them all to length) are eversomuch just a bit too long to fit further towards the middle. And I forgot to account for the thickness of the steel bed rails. Which means lots and lots of time spent with the handsaw and the rasp. Again. #beginning_to_regret_my_lifechoices...

※※※

After my friend Ashe posted they were making cheesecake, I was possessed by a deep desire for cheesecake of my own. Online research and late night cooking experiment led to a successful if indulgent breakfast.

I wanted to try this recipe, since I had all the ingredients, and the requisite 4" springform pan. Only changes I made were substituting gluten-free graham crackers, and using rosewater instead of vanilla... (and mixing by hand since I don't own a power mixer) Conclusion: 10/10 and recipe entered into my permanent notebook, as something to make again from time to time!

particularly nice with strawberry rhubarb sauce atop
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Kestrel's friends clothes replace clothesline
yard waste bin
2 tiny green flannel dress
repair Nandina overalls
recycle bin
3 individual cheesecake 
sew buttons on blouse
-
4 -
old mattress off bed
-
5 -
- -
6 - - -
7 x - x
8 x - x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude
- Past Me acquired a better mattress

Time of Isolation - Day 811


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed