So, the good part being that the minor sewing job I was asked about this afternoon turned out to be for something I could in fact easily do: sewing a layered decorative panel to the front of a hoody. (I'm always happy when I can actually help, and don't need to turn folks away to say, an upholstery shop, or someone who specialises in wedding dresses...) Said decorative panel seemed somewhat familiar from my OCF days. Turned out that J, who asked about my sewing help, and lives only a few blocks away, had seen the artwork at the Fair the one year that artist (Cada Johnson, from Cottage Grove) was there, and then found more of her artwork on Etsy. I am sorely tempted to acquire one or two of the decorative patches myself, since the artist isn't making clothing any more, just patches and prayer flags.
Really glad I was able to get out for some walking this weekend, since today is pretty much pouring down rain. There are different flowers blooming week by week, despite our recent unseasonable snowfall. A parking strip magnolia had branches that were low enough that I was able to see into the heart of the flower:
Found the chocolate brown cotton fabric, so started sewing on a new tiny rag doll, this one is intended to be Nandina's mother, Kenya Ogidni, who will be coming to live with Nandina and Almandine in the tinyworld. Hopefully in another few days there will be a grand reunion. Early on in the saga of my small friends, mention was made of Kenya, who was very active in her hippie days in the Black Power movement, and has passed her activist ways on to her (late in life) daughter Nandina.
※※※
April SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | tiny Euphorbia | jacket snaps added | yard waste bin |
| 2 | tiny moth orchid | moar wood chips in planter | recycle bin |
| 3 | Countess scroll | weight closer for back door | tax forms mailed |
| 4 | Laurel enamel | tiny drawer handles | broken tree parts |
| 5 | sunflower enamel | tiny trowel handle | - |
| 6 | x | x | - |
| 7 | x | x | - |
| 8 | x | x | - |
| 9 | x | x | - |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - I found my missing pair of eyeglasses. I had hooked them over the top bar on my workbench, where they somehow blended in with the tools and the assorted wire bits to become invisible for a week.
Time of Isolation - Day 764


I am so excited to see progress being made on Kenya. I can't wait to meet her.
ReplyDeleteHi Alison, I just discovered your blog. As I was perusing stats in my Etsy shop I saw that 11 people had been sent to my shop via your blog. Thank you so much! And your blog is so delightful. I am so glad that I occasionally wander through my stats (a chore I avoid) and I can find treasure there. Happy Wet Winter Pac NW drip season to you. Cada Johnson
ReplyDeleteHi Cada... I am so pleased that my positive comments about your excellent artwork have encouraged other people to seek it out. I have such vivid memories of seeing your work at OCF, and have purchased one of your patches to decorate my next homemade day pack project. Your comments made my day so much brighter! Wishing you the best... Alison
Delete