Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Proficere lente sed proficere...

in which our plucky heroine stops and starts again...

After wearing my new jacket around the house, I decided that I had attached the pockets in a somewhat less than ideal orientation, just a bit too close to the center front, and about two inches higher than was comfortable. In order to remedy this I needed to carefully pick out all the doubled topstitching I used to initially sew them in place. And relocate and restitch them all over again. Still, the whole point of this project has been to create a garment that is more adapted to my needs and wants, so... bring out the seam ripper!

Fortunately, lowering the pocket location made a vast difference, and I'm now pretty satisfied with the results, a loosely fitting sturdy jacket ideal for the sort of adventures I enjoy, with pockets big enough for my journal and writing sticks on one side and a water bottle on the other, with room to spare for random finds along the way...

Time now to set aside the sewing-for-me for a while and focus on my other needful projects, both in the enameling workroom and those of  more housely refurbishment and repair. Not to mention the everpresent and ongoing need to declutter and organise the supplies that allow me to continue with all this.

It does feel just a little like I am pulling out of how isolation has affected crushed squashed me, even though I am still just as isolated as ever. While some of my friends are choosing to freely gallivant in the world, I am not comfortable even with basic actions like grocery shopping, now that any mask wearing is voluntary. I am certainly not going to happily eat in restaurants, or attend indoor activity. Just necessary medical/dental visits fill me with dread (to be sure, not from the practicioners, but from the other patients...)
※※※

Today, I had a dental consultation with the orthodontist at my dentists office, still trying to figure out wtf is going on with my bite being so out of whack. She was equally baffled, despite the many many many xrays. The good news is that there does not appear to be anything wrong with my jaw (insert scary things that could be wrong that I never even heard of/thought of) which appears to be robust and in good condition. I do not particularly want to have to go through having orthodontia at my age, as it is both painful and hella spendy, and she did not suggest it was required in any way, just an option. She also suggested that perhaps I have developed a habit of putting my tongue between my teeth while I sleep, which would explain the strange gap between my upper and lower incisors. Apparently this is a thing that some people do, and can really cause peculiar changes...
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
I'm trying to set aside some time each day to work on this scribal challenge from the past weekend, and today's progress report is filling in the landscapes in the  background of the small paintings in the upper panel... Still unfinished are the foreground figures, as well as the architectural columns.
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tiny tulips
more compost liners
yard waste bin
2 tiny crocus
mended gloves
recycle bin
3 yet moar tiny books
more apple pruning
books to LFL
4 little ladle
tiny bucket handle
recycle bin
5 tiny aprons
acquired 2021 tax forms
-
6 chore jacket
clock movement replaced
-
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - trial and error, without which we would not learn much...




Time of Isolation - Day 744

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed