Wednesday, March 16, 2022

in the pink

in which our plucky heroine notices springtime...

It is currently that very short season when the ornamental plum trees in my front yard are blooming, with a pink haze across the view outdoors. There are other ornamental trees in that family* that are also in bloom, which lends the air a slightly sweet floral scent, (though the actual fruit trees are not there yet). As well, the euphorbia is starting to lift its blossom heads beside the driveway, and I see others while out and about that are already showing their lime green flowers.

The snowdrops are done, and the pink hellebore are probably just passing their peak, but scattered here and there I am seeing the faces of white violets, and some of the squirrel decimation has signs of new growth. I am going to refurbish the cage for the planter at the front of the porch, which currently has a decent sized parsley and some chickweed, and try and transplant some of the favored violets in there... I saw a violet violet in the backyard, the only one I have seen around here, and it would look lovely with a few white violets for company where I could see them every day
※※※

I seem to have been able to partially get the layout and format of my blog back, not 100%, but the widget tools are now back in a sidebar and not all the way at the bottom of the page. Trying to not care much about something so first world trivial. But how things function and how they appear is a thing I get twitchy about when it is poorly thought out...
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
a very rough sketch... I decided to make a sunflower enamel pendant in order to raise funds to help with the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Since I will be enameling this week as I begin to work on the current set of commissions, it will be easy to interweave working on this with the other enamels, indeed it is best to have more than one project on the trivets, as there is otherwise a lot of hurry up and wait, as enamels applied need to dry, or enamels fired need to cool. I will also be making some miniature embroidered 1:12 items with the intent to be able to send some money towards folks who are on the ground, helping the refugees...
※※※

It has been a real struggle to get myself to phone the endodontist office, which is the first step in making an appointment to get a root canal.  What finally worked was to have a friend videophone me and be smiling support while I made the call.

As written earlier today: I have been trying all day to gird my loins and call the place about making an appointment, and I've not yet managed it, and therefore not managed to do anything else on my list either... I hate making phone calls, and I hate having surgery, and I hate knowing that this whole situation is entirely my own fault for years of bad judgement, and I hate being so tangled up. I am not doing well at being an adult. I have been intending to make the phone call since Monday morning and I am still stuck...

I guess I need to figure out some really amazing reward for positive reinforcement, since scaring myself with consequences (negative reinforcement) isn't helping and is actually generating real life every night nightmares now. I think I will pick something off my own holiday gifty wishlist, maybe a totally frivolous thing??
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tiny tulips
more compost liners
yard waste bin
2 tiny crocus
mended gloves
recycle bin
3 yet moar tiny books
more apple pruning
books to LFL
4 little ladle
tiny bucket handle
-
5 tiny aprons
acquired 2021 tax forms
-
6 x clock movement replaced
-
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I greatly enjoy the Little Free Library kiosks that dot the neighborhood, and almost always stop to examine the contents. Occasionally I find a book that I think I want to read, and when finished with it, I can return it to either the same or different LFL...

Time of Isolation - Day 731


* so many of our temperate climate fruit trees are in the family Rosaceae, some are pomes (most commonly known are apples and pears) and others are stone fruit (peaches, plums, apricots etc)

2 comments:

  1. Things are blooming where you are? It is snowing here in Denver, although this weekend will be warm and sunny, then rainy and snowy again. All moisture is welcome.

    I've had a number of root canals. In my experience, they provide lots of relief with little discomfort from the procedure. For you, it may be the portal to a pain-free future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree that all moisture is welcome, we are already in drought conditions even though it is the rainy season, we are at about 25% of normal precipitation. :( It is definitely springtime here (earlier every year it seems like)

      I had a friend body-double me while I made the first phone call yesterday (she and I had a video chat open so I wasn't alone) and that got me over the hump of hating to make the call. Since the office was not answering, I ended up having to call again today, which was, now that I had done it once, absolutely easy. Good to know that you have had good experiences. I've never had one done, and just want to have my CrankyTooth in good shape to last me the rest of my life... fingers crossed. I have a consult appointment at the end of the month.

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed