Friday, September 24, 2021

saucy and savory

in which our plucky heroine continues filling jars...

A gallon of applesauce, put up in 8oz jars, all from the little tree in my backyard. This will be a most welcome addition to the pantry here at Acorn Cottage (as well as to meals this winter). Adding in the half gallon+ of applesauce from earlier this month, that is rather respectable indeed, considering all the apples that burned up in the 117F heat dome earlier this summer.

All in all, not a bad harvest of Mystery backyard apples... I've lost whatever info I had on the tree graft varieties. The few red apples are probably Gala, but I've no idea what the yellow ones are, possibly Yellow Delicious, though they are not at all like the sweet somewhat mealy ones in the store? Maeva suggested that they might be Yellow Transparents, but those usually ripen in the summertime.
I cooked the sauce long and slow, which I think is what caused the color to deepen from yellow to a sort of rosy shade... rather like when cooking quinces
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
I've been working on a few more postcard size artworks, but forgot to photo them...
※※※

Apples all done with, and some more plums in freezer, and it is time to start on dealing with tomatoes. The older random ones are being cooked down into batches of Awesome Sauce. There is probably enough for three times the recipe, and it is easier to cook in small batches. (At least until I manage to get a second large stock pot to keep my maslin pan company, as I don't want to repeat last nights musical chairs of small saucepans)
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Greek masks block carved
rodent removal
yard waste bin
2 pillowcases printed
bicycle tube replaced
recycle bin
3 snood for Ariadne
side plum pruned
yard waste bin
4 memorial calligraphy
apple tree pruning
broken oven bits
5 tiny fox "Almandine"
moar apple pruning
old frozen food
6 fig lemon jam 5 jars
added bat embroidery yard waste bin
7 Almandine clothing
freezer defrosted x
8 windfall applesauce 5 jars
pears dehydrated
x
9 Nandina blouse more dried pears
x
10 postcard #1
plums harvested
x
11 postcard #2 and #3
x x
12 applesauce 16 jars
x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Just heard that my dear friends Rois and Chance will be coming by again tomorrow, so we will be having another porch visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed