not even day to day, as each day seems wierder than the previous one. Although Sunday just involved cleaning up the broken glass, which was tiring, but not peculiar. Monday was started fairly pleasantly (see below) and after the class ended, I went outside to pick some of the plums before the forecast windstorms arrived. I filled two tote bags as the wind picked up speed, and noticed that my throat was feeling raw, and the sky was an odd shade of yellow-grey. Went inside to check the AQI websites, but they all said that air quality was "green = good (20 AQI)" which wasn't true. Some kind of time lag in the updates, or a glitch, since the next time I checked it was "red = unhealthy (180 AQI)". In the interim, I shut down the house fans and closed all the windows, as well as preparing the candle lanterns and matches in an easily accessed space, and clipped the mini flashlight as a necklace.
As the winds increased, and news reports began coming in about trees coming down, I decided that I would set up my camping bed in the kitchen, that being the spot furthest from the big tree next door, and the big trees in my front yard. Might be overkill, but better safe than sorry. Aside from the howling of the wind, I slept fairly well. The magnetic towel racks made a useful spot to hang my glasses and the flashlight above the head of my cot...
Monday I took a six-hour online SCA Ithra class on making your own gloves, and my (successful) goal was to fit a pattern, so that I can actually make work gloves etc that will match the shape and size of my hands, which have very short fingers, but are otherwise an ordinary women's medium/large. I have never had gloves that fit me aside from handknit homemade ones; inch long floppy empty ends of fingers rather reduce the functionality of work gloves for yardwork or handling rough objects. I am eagerly looking forward to trying this pattern out in suitable leather in the future (once I manage to acquire some deerskin, or goatskin leather)
※※※
Jesmyn Ward's essay articulates a personal connection between tragedy, COVID and BLM in an intensely beautiful and heartbreaking way. I read it and wept, and remain determined to do what little I can to work for change...
so, Friday my young neighbor brought this over to my front porch, they have been working on this surprise for Nandina: a little pup tent complete with zip up sleeping bag, pillow, and plenty of cushiony camping pad! I am not sure who is more charmed, me or my tiny housemate...
※※※
The Kitchen Saga: Removed the oven door yesterday, as suggested by a friend; turns out that lifting the door straight up slides it off the brackets that hold it to the internal door springs, who knew? Now it is in the carport waiting for a trip to the transfer station. Been trying to get through to the gas company to find out what might be needed to convert the cooking appliance here back to a gas appliance, (which is the first step in the process of gathering information) but having real difficulty getting through to the customer service department. Persistence is needed.
September SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Gwen sunhat | removed oven door | old underwindow |
| 2 | dozen EQUITY prints | x | dead cold-packs |
| 3 | tiny deer hat | x | yard waste bin |
| 4 | x | x | recycle bin |
| 5 | x | x | favorite saucepan |
| 6 | x | x | oven door glass |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - no trees fell on Acorn Cottage last night


Love the gloves! Would welcome the pattern, if available. Will you be making some for Nandina, too?
ReplyDeleteMaybe you could just buy a new oven door, if one is available.
Not planning on making 1:12 scale gloves for Nandina. The handout for the glove class is here, but I had to make my own pattern by drawing around my hand, and starting from that, rather like draping a clothing pattern on the body:
Deletehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1MCirV6Ff0Plq57iqjVbDEDI4N2lXLu0j/view
Because I have hated the (awful, poorly designed, not very functional) kitchen stove since we moved her fifteen years ago, and have already spent money repairing it several times, and it still only has two burners that work, there will be a new cooktop, hopefully a gas cooktop
Thanks for the glove pattern link. After printing it, I remembered that somewhere I have a glove pattern, a recreation-type glove, not as fitted as the one you made.
DeleteIt will be wonderful for you to have nice fitting work gloves. After making due with jersey gloves or trying rather unsuccessfully to keep my husband's leather gloves on my hands, I broke down and bought a pair of leather work gloves in a size to fit me. It was money well spent.
ReplyDeleteI love Nandina's new camping set. What a sweet gift!