Like, I always felt like the best thing I could do is live in a way that caused as little harm as possible to the planet and other living beings, and now that isn't enough, if that makes sense. Like I need to be doing something actively healing. Which feels sort of impossible given my lack of resources and need to keep
So I have been spinning my brain and cogitating... so far, what I have come up with is the idea of making some kind of artworks that can be sold, to raise money to donate. And I realised how often I choose to do nothing, because I have no idea what the right thing to do is, and it has felt like doing something not-right is somehow worse than doing nothing at all... Which is completely not true, particularly now, but probably always.
Today I have been working on designing. A postcard-size artwork, made with block printing, is affordable in a way that jewelry is not, and is a size that can be mailed easily. I have decided that although I feel pretty helpless to make a difference, one tiny action I can do is to make little artworks, and donate the payments to Useful Causes. So I am going to do that...
※※※
A minor but definite improvement: magnetic towel bars. I've only been living here fifteen years (eep!) and only just now figured out a way to have kitchen towels conveniently to hand at the kitchen sink... Because all the Acorn Cottage kitchen cabinets are steel, it finally occurred to me that there was a way to effectively do this, and I decided to go ahead and put a little bit of dosh towards an improvement that would make my doing everyday chores a little bit better. One of my design goals overall is to have things be in the first place where you reach for whatever it is. Not always possible (see the gorram light switches and other infrastructure fails) but in this case, every time I reach for a kitchen towel it is now finally right in the correct spot.※※※
Finally managed to finish my turquoise linen pinafore... now only have two more things to complete by the end of the month for SWAP 2020. I'd planned to make a grey linen pinafore as well, and since there are lots of times when I miss my grey corduroy pinafore, I think that will be next up. Torn between the planned grey canvas chore coat and the possible grey canvas "jean jacket" that is my newest idea. I'd need to double check the pattern measurements of the former pattern against my current TNT blouse pattern, and see if it would work. Otherwise it is time to actually start making a toile of the new chore coat pattern...
※※※
beauty in the time of isolation - day 87:

whenever I see positive vernacular art, it gives me hope....
※※※
beauty in the time of isolation - day 87:

whenever I see positive vernacular art, it gives me hope....
※※※
Found out my blood type is A, sister has blood type O, which means that a. I do not have the extra protection from COVID of being type O blood, and that b. parents must both be carrying type O, but at least one is type A... I find this sort of genetic thing fascinating, takes me back to Junior High science classes and those little "Punnet squares" that simplified how genes are expressed (I have the only blue eyes in my family)
※※※
June SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | 5½ pints rhubarb sauce | apple tree pruned | rotten beams |
| 2 | 20 masks for Tullia | apples thinned | frozen blueberries |
| 3 | 2¾ pints blueberry sauce | aphids soaped | yard waste bin |
| 4 | 3 half-pints bramble syrup | x | - |
| 5 | turquoise linen pinafore | x | - |
| 6 | 2 more masks | x | - |
| 7 | x | x | - |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - being old enough that we got a reasonably good education in public school.

I can relate to your struggle for positive action in the current situation. I've spent most of my life being pleasantly invisible, and the now-acknowledged need to be noticeable, vocal, and in some cases disagreeable requires a dramatic mental shift. You have explained it well.
ReplyDeleteGreat solution for the towels - you find the most interesting items! When I'm working in the kitchen I perpetually leave each towel on a different counter and then can't find any of them. I've taken to tucking one under the tie of my apron so at least I have one near my hands.
I like the postcard art. If they are not too expensive, I can see people distributing them to club members, friends, at church, etc.
ReplyDeleteIf you don't have enough fabric for a chore coat, you might consider a chore vest. I have one and always feel so competent wearing it. It is low hip length, of sturdy fabric, has pockets and is a pretty color.