It seems like the rhythm of my time in isolation is alternating, one day may be almost productive, and the next is basically a washout. Trying to find the good in each day is my attempt to counteract that, with varying success.
There was a difficult/sad phone call to start off today with. Then I knocked over the little table, and smashed my Taylor and Ng mug with the f--king bears on it. And foolishly burned my arm with the hot glue gun (a tool I almost never use, I had to wipe a THICK layer of dust off it prior to turning it on) And then when attempting to make lunch, I dropped the full bowl of egg salad down the cabinet onto the kitchen floor. Deciding against working on my enameling today seemed like a good call... Tomorrow will be better.
※※※
~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 47 ~
Frustrated with the problematic blockprint issues, so started building a house for Nandina, using the corrugated cardboard I've been laminating. This still needs a roof, window openings, and a base, and there will be a porch/balcony off one side of the ground floor.~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 47 ~
The structure is already astonishingly sturdy, considering it is cardboard held together with hot glue. The attic space will get a roof with dormers, once I figure out how to create dormers! I am thinking about using paper mache to smooth over the raw cardboard-y edges, as an alternative to the glue/spackle mixture suggested in the video that inspired me...
I've been thinking about how the telephone poles and powerline poles on the street are our new "commons". The old commons, the newspapers or the evening news, are no longer anything like universal. We consume individuated information, and there is no source that easily reaches a neighborhood any more. Online access is not universal, however it seems to be. I have noticed over the course of the pandemic, that there are more than just the lost pet flyers, and while the "our band is playing at this bar" flyers are gone, there are notices about a farmers market at the elementary school community garden, notices about what to do about tear gas, notices about mutual aid, about upcoming protest actions, about candidates for local office, and an assortment of exhortations both positive and in favor of thinking clearly about social justice issues...
※※※
beauty in the time of isolation - day 160:
"may the horse be with you..."
(never know what folks will put in their yard as decoration)
beauty in the time of isolation - day 160:
"may the horse be with you..."
(never know what folks will put in their yard as decoration)
※※※
September SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Gwen sunhat | x | old underwindow |
| 2 | x | x | - |
| 3 | x | x | - |
| 4 | x | x | - |
| 5 | x | x | - |
| 6 | x | x | - |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - My lovely neighbors brought me some of their homegrown tomatoes. Just like with rainbow, no such thing as too much! (Now if I can get some of the hot peppers that are red, rather than green, there will be Awesome Sauce in the pantry at some point)



Hi, I love reading your blog. Hope things are better for us all soon. RE the cardboard house, I think you may get some tips, from the excellent blog "ikat bag" It's def. worth a look if you are not familiar with it, she has many hints in her cardboard tutorials Angela
ReplyDeleteOooo I forgot about how Ikat Bag has a bunch of cardboard tutorials... thanks for the reminder <3
DeleteIf you're going to papier mache Nandina's house, maybe she would like it to be a stone house, with paper stones. With vines growing somewhere.
ReplyDeleteI, too, have days where I feel wiped out, then the next day will feel perky. Others I know have said they experience that, too.
there are definitely going to be paper stones, probably the ground level flooring will be stone, and the fireplace Hadn't thought about making the entire facade stone... Hmmm....
Delete