Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Tuesday tidbits

in which our plucky heroine dreams about springtime...

It is a beautiful bright warm 70F day, and I sorely miss being able to go out on my bike (and run errands). I have been walking more, though, and yesterday I walked four miles and was barely winded; no great loss without some gain, and for me the gain has been improved physical condition as I continue to slowly lose extra pounds and increase my stamina. My PCP, who I saw in a video meeting today, is pleased with my progress, and has agreed I can reduce my medications commensurately.
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation, day 57:

I think that this is some kind of fancy calendula
※※※

SWAP 2020 progress report: changing out some of the grey/black components, because between isolating at home, and the change of seasons, I have been wanting to add just a bit of color to my SWAP... Instead of one of the dresses, I am going to make a floral blouse from this indigo/teal floral cotton. I will be using my TNT bias front blouse pattern, and inserting pale blue vintage micro rick rack (that I found on Etsy) as "piping" in the collar edge, and maybe down the button band edges, and in the sleeve cuff bands.

When I took a closer look at the fabric (before marking the pattern pieces and cutting them out) I realised that the print was directional, which I had somehow not noticed when I bought it. This will complicate the cutting layout, as it would look subtly wierd, I think, to have the foliage not all going in the same direction. This fabric has so many colors in the print (indigo, medium blue, light blue, teal, light teal, leaf green, gold, and white) that it will be wearable with all my pinafores, including the new teal/black chambray and the new grey linen both waiting to be stitched up... I am eager to finish cutting this blouse out and getting started!
※※※

I am so happy because I ordered a new trackball ages ago, put it in Coventry for three days after arriving, and I just unboxed it and attached it to the laptop, and it is like floating!! (now my hand will not cramp when I am online) My old trackball is about 12 years old, and while it still works, it is worn enough that is is an effort to move the sphere. Wheeeee! Simple pleasures!!
※※※

So I discovered that I have what appear to be infant garlics in a number of places in the back yard garden planters. I thought I was pulling up grasses, but instead there are tiny allium bulbs at the base. Really tiny. Can this be possible, after growing garlic in past years?
※※※

~ 100 day challenge - still day 13 ~
This is what my pal Stacy did with the two miniature CYRK posters I sent her... she is putting together a 1/16 scale dollhouse inspired by the 70's. I think that the kitchen needs a spider plant in a macrame hanger.
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 collage bird netting peas-
2 xx-
3 xx -
4 x
x -
5 xx -
6 x x
-
7 x x
-
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - My sister in law picked out a great gift pack of herbs and spices for me from Penzey's, and I am really enjoying adding some of the different spice blends to my cooking in this time of isolation. The new flavors add a bit of something new to my everyday meals, just as she adds a delightful savor to our family.

14 comments:

  1. Your indigo teal fabric is terrific! It would match my clothing as well! It will be fun to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually looking forward to sewing a thing for me, after my only sewing for the last two months being masks for people. I have my fingers gently crossed that my sewing mojo may be returning. Not that I really need much in the way of new clothes, since I am not going anywhere, but a bright flowery new blouse will boost my morale

      Delete
  2. That is a whole lot of good news. The dollhouse is remarkable. Love the tiny appliances, and your posters are perfect.

    Could it be wild garlic popping up? I think it is a weed-like plant in your part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am uncertain about the mystery allium, and will be taking some pictures to share with more garden knowledgable friends. If it was a common weed, I think I might have seen it before, and that I am only seeing it where I grew actual garlic in the past seems significant...

      Delete
  3. We have wild garlic here in Arkansas as well, but we also have crow poison, so we don't attempt to eat it. We have lots of volunteer garlic from when we grew it in the past.

    I loved seeing your posters in the tiny kitchen. They look wonderful. I agree. The kitchen needs a spider plant in a macrame hanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I weren't stuck in place because pandemic, I would make my pal Stacy a wee little spider plant... I am wondering if there is some way I can flat-pack one to fit in a letter envelope? Hmmmm....

      Delete
    2. I have made them from florist tape before. That might flatten and then she could reform it. You run a thin wire down the center of the florist tape and add another piece of tape on top. Trim and paint and you have one leaf. Twist the wires together to form the plant. I've made snake plants the same way.

      Delete
    3. that sounds totally doable, if I had floral tape on hand... I can do a rummage into the random craft supplies, but doubt I do. Good to know a potential option for the future though! Thanks for the advice!!

      Delete
    4. Masking tape could work, but it wouldn't be as long lasting.

      Delete
  4. Your walking distance is impressive! Congratulations on achieving that. The teal *floral print is so pretty. Definitely the spider plant in macrame; knotting fine string or even thread is going to be challenging.

    *(When my older son was about 5, he overheard me talking with my mother about fabrics. One mentioned was "floral prints." Later, I heard him inviting his younger sister to play with him: "I'll be the Floral Prince.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! Kids can be so funny with what they think they hear.

      Delete
    2. Oh I love that story... now I am imagining a children's story about "The Floral Prince"

      Delete
  5. I meant to add that I used #10 crochet cotton to macrame mini plant hangers with. It's not too bad if you attach it to something sturdy before starting. I used to pin it to my pants leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm more and more reason to rummage around and see what random craft supplies might be hiding here...

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed