Thursday, May 7, 2020

gravity is a harsh mistress

in which our plucky heroine is beat with the ugly stick...

I was out for one of my sanity strolls last night, and I tripped and did a face plant on the concrete. One of those awful falls that seem to happen in slow motion. After being isolated at home for 58 days, I had to go the ER.

Fortunately there appears to be nothing broken, and my teeth are still attached, but I was pretty badly banged up, have some facial cuts, two black eyes, and my glasses are in need of some attention (though that matters little, as my face is far too swollen and sore to wear them). I did not need stitches, or even surgical glue, but the ER doc warned me that there will be some unaviodable scarring. Now I get to reset my isolation clock and if am still healthy by the end of the month, I will have dodged the virus again as well. Gravity is implacable on the surface of a planet.
※※※

Day 10 (yesterday) - harvested the pea microgreens! They will be cooked with a little garlic and hot pepper... Tray in the background will be emptied into the compost bin, refilled with fresh soil and replanted; sunflower microgreens adjacent will be harvested day after tomorrow, for salad.
※※※

back to eating mooshy food again, as my battered face and sore upper lip area are not eager for the physical stress of chewing. Just realised that my prior effort to cut up and steam carrots, and store pre-cooked in freezer, was brilliant! They can be used as ice cubes to cool down hot broth to eating temperature, and are already soft enough to eat! I am going to do that with the rest of the carrots in the fridge!!
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation, day 58, reset to day 1:

not sure what this small blue flower is,
but bumblebees find it very attractive.
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 collage bird netting peas-
2 xharvest pea greens-
3 xharvest sunflower greens -
4 x
x -
5 xx -
6 x x
-
7 x x
-
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - a gift of Netflix, which will be a wonderful distraction while my poor battered face heals. Also, I discovered that if you click on a particular place on the phone, it takes a photo of you, looking at it. Apparently I am the last person on earth to learn how to take a "selfie"

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm afraid I'm very familiar with your falling style. I have several scars on my chin and one where my teeth went clear through my lip. I expect you'll feel like you were hit by a train for a few days, as the impact affects your whole body, not just the cut and bruised areas. I keep trying to train myself to look down, or at least forward when I walk, but there are always so many interesting birds, pretty clouds, or tree canopies to look up at!

    Your garden of microgreens is lush and looks very healthy and delicious. What a resounding success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh... you are quite correct about how I feel... (In addition to my feeling a right fool for walking on the sidewalk to begin with) I am currently looking like I was in a fight, as my poor nose is quite swollen and with two black eyes that have also swollen up where they are bruised... I keep telling myself that I will feel better in a few days!

      My plan is to make an actual small salad using the two different kinds of microgreens, and add in the last of the cucumber from my "care package" two weeks ago

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! I hate that this happened. I know that feeling all too well of slow motion falls and the knowledge that this isn't going to be good. I hope you heal quickly. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Dawn... I am healing, thanks to quick application of ice, and copious amounts of arnica and green salve. The bruising is pretty spectacular though.

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed