Friday, May 8, 2020

nightshade dreams

in which our plucky heroine wishes for tomatoes...

This all started earlier today during a conversation with my little sister, who described the most delicious (and currently impractical because it needs late summer produce) salad, combining chopped tomato, fresh corn kernels, arugula, and in my case feta (in her case bleu) cheese and a nice baslamic vinagrette. I began to crave tomato.

This turned into a terrible yearning to go to the garden center, and instead of giving in, I bought two tomato plants online from Fang (a local independent pet food and supply store that also has a small garden center) and walked my bike the four blocks over there, and picked them up curbside outdoors while maintaining distance protocol. No one I saw on the street were wearing masks. This makes me nuts. Wearing my mask, and my safety goggles, and my bike helmet was painful (as you can see, my poor face is terribly bruised), but only needed to get there and back home.  Fang is really making what I consider a very good attempt at doing this well, the garden clerk was both properly masked and entirely willing to simply set the plants down, move away, and let me pick them up and wedge them into my bike baskets. It has to be difficult to so turn the common courtesy rules on their head, for everyone.
Now I am going to read up about what tomatoes need, so I can fix up the big pots that used to have my figs in them, and plant the tomatoes tomorrow. Now (with luck) I will have some tomatoes this summer. It is almost 80 on my front porch right now. Hopefully Mr Robertson will come over here Saturday and use the weed whacker to cut back the tall grass in the back yard. I will feed him tea, and homemade banana bread, from a safe distance.
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 collage bird netting peas-
2 strawberry rhubarb sauceharvest pea greens-
3 xharvest sunflower greens -
4 x
x -
5 xx -
6 x x
-
7 x x
-
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - okay, so I am definitely calling the microgreens a success... just cut up some of the pea greens, and added some of the sunflower greens, plus the last of my care package cucumber and with a little tahini/goddess dressing, it made a very nice salad indeed! I have been wanting salad for almost two months now...

4 comments:

  1. Great, now I have a craving for tomatoes! Those are lovely little plants and you were smart to get two differnt varieties. I'm sure they will do very well on your porch. Also squirrels love tomatoes and will eat them all so you will need protection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on swathing the large pots with bird netting to keep those nasty tree-rats away!

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to try the microgreens next winter. They look yummy. As a last minute thought when we were buying the last of our lockdown supplies, I picked up a big bag of alfalfa seeds. The sprouts were very welcome until our garden started producing. We got it out early since we knew we would be depending on it even more than normally. We were able to get cabbage and felt safe eating it raw since it's wrapped and has its own natural wrapping too. We discovered that we quite like tossed salads made with cabbage. We've also been fermenting kraut. I need to go out and uncover our tomato plants soon. I hope covering them and the lettuce kept them from getting damaged in the late frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. growing microgreens is almost as easy as growing sprouts, in some ways I find it easier

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed