Sunday, May 3, 2020

hoping for a turnaround

in which our plucky heroine pokes at some truths...

but not too enthusiastically, because after almost four days, my poor finger is still in bad shape. Hopefully, the Keflex antibiotic capsules I started taking yesterday will help my body deal with what now has been diagnosed as (localised) cellulitis. Just for future reference, here is a photo of what it looked like on Friday, when it was obvious to me both internally and externally that the situation was worsening:

I suspected it was an infection ever since Thursday night when the pain kept me from sleeping. One wouldn't think such a tiny problem would cause so much trouble, but fingertips are one of the most nerve dense areas.

As I mentioned yesterday, before the Age of Antibiotics, which came into common use towards the beginning of the 20th century, this sort of infection could become a death wound, if it began to spread throughout the body. Indeed, last summer I had a Very Serious case of cellulitis (that developed from my surgical site after my appendectomy) that had me in hospital for four days on IV antibiotics.

I do try and remind myself that any humans alive now come from a long line of ancestors who's bodies were good at containing, healing, and surviving infections, because those who couldn't, didn't survive long! Here's hoping that I don't go join my ancestors any time soon, eh?

unhappy finger today: infection outlined with marker for comparison over time
※※※

There are all kinds of things growing here, and some of the trees show signs of there being fruit later on this autumn:

tiny baby quincelet

tiny baby plums

blueberry blossoms
※※※

I found this advice about "pandemic productivity" to be Useful, Kind, and kinda necessary right now. Some of the suggestions in this article are things I already do, that work well for me. YMMV.
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation, day 55:

The miniature lilac next to the front door is blooming right now.
※※※

~ 100 day challenge - day 12 ~
.
"Pony Express" - inspiration after paying bills, reuse before recycle, so before taking the envelopes out to the wheelie bin... I made a collage.
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 collage bird netting peas-
2 xx-
3 xx -
4 x
x -
5 xx -
6 x x
-
7 x x
-
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes - I was clever enough to plant some fruit trees here. (and continue to do so) which provides some sweetness that lasts throughout the year.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm glad you know what is wrong and how to treat it, but cellulitis is painful! I got it a few years ago from a thorn prick. It just looked like every other tiny injury until my whole hand sewlled up like a balloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping for improvement, now on day 3 of the antibiotic. Good news is that finger is no worse. OTOH, it is no better either, though maybe slightly less painful?

      Delete
  2. Pony express is lovely. Brilliant use of the print inside the envelope.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed