Sunday, October 7, 2018

bizzy like a bee

in which our plucky heroine keeps busy...

"where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?" -  as a way of distracting self maintaining sanity in these difficult times, self is keeping busy with autumnal chores, beauty for friends, and minor household improvements. Because however dire the larger world, some things still need done, as long as there is life and breath...

The first harvest from Feral Grapevine yielded just over five pounds of small seedy grapes. According to Mr Dawson, they are not wine grapes but some variety of concord grapes. No matter to me, as am not fond of wine anyway, and it takes a lot more than five pounds to make even a modest amount of wine. This will be turned into grape syrup instead, which can be used as a medieval or ancient condiment and ingredient.
※※※

Finally, plant hooks in ceiling! I've been meaning to do this for ages now, though had forgotten how very much of a literal pain the the neck it is (bending partially backwards at the top of the stepladder, while either drilling holes in the ceiling, or screwing toggle bolts into place at full extension of my tiny dinosaur arms. It is worth it though:
oh gosh, painting the walls a color other than "former owner white" would really make a difference! The curtains are actually a nice dark blue, not black, and the plan has been to paint the living room a soft medium stone grey/taupe color. Maybe later on this year, as right now all my "free time" must needs go to getting the assorted garments and embellishments made for Blue Cedar folks etc before mid-November and the start of SCA holiday events...
※※※

speaking of which, the first of five pieces of embroidery for Marya is finished. This is the embroidered cuff for the rubackha (silk undergown) which will be white silk with red silk trim. The embroidery is all done in DMC metallic floss, which is quite challenging to work with. The cuff embroidery took a week of intermittent transit and waiting room stitchery, so at that rate the five pieces should be done in plenty of time for Marya's elevation in mid December.
※※※
October SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Laurel tablet weaving Ironrite chairold tourney seat
2 Marya cuff plant hooksbag to Goodwill
3 xgrapes picked bag to Goodwill
4 x
x
-
5 xx -
6 x x -
7 x x -
8 x x -
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

4 comments:

  1. We have a feral grape of the arizonica sp. that produces pretty well in spite of deathly heat and drought. Every so often I try eating a handful of the tiny fruit and they are incredibly sweet but like chewing gravel because of the seeds. I usually end up juicing the whole lot.

    Very impressed with the embroidery. Does the metallic floss fray a lot? The last time I used metallic floss I lost quite a lot to breakage, but I can't remember if it was DMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These grapes would be less than ideal for eating out of hand, for reason of how seedy they are.

      The metallic floss is a little delicate. I am using a needle with a large smooth eye, and big enough to make a large enough hole for the thread to go through without abrasion. Definitely not my favorite for embriodery, but the right look for the clothing it will embellish. And the only reason I'm doing it at all is that Marya is a dear friend

      Delete
  2. I'd use caution about painting walls gray. I love the look of gray walls online, but when I painted my office walls gray I found myself reluctant to spend time there. I realized I need cheerful surroundings; now my walls are warm yellow and I love my time there. The walls of my office at work are also yellow, it's like being surrounded with sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have painted bedroom walls grey in the past and loved them. It tones down the contrast, which I prefer. But I know it isn't to everyone's taste

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed