Tuesday, February 20, 2018

what I do with interstitial time...


in which our plucky heroine does some approximating...

I've been working on this cardigan for quite a while.
This is a loose-fitting outer layer, here worn with four underlayers as we have had a sudden cold snap, complete with snow! It will be comfy/casual in normal wear, but is large enough to fit over my current outfit (turtleneck, dress, wool pinafore and handknit wool vest) I am quite pleased with how this turned out.

For current and future reference, here are a few of the finishing details, and some close-up photos of the front snap closures:
.
The edges are bound, with the front, cuff, and hemline edge binding extended to form a kind of facing. I made the hemline facing deeper, to add a bit more stability and weight to the bottom edge. All the edges except the neckline have all their stitching done in brown rather than grey, as I wanted that part of the construction to be less obtrusive. I found these lovely HUGE snaps for the closure, and modified the instructions from Alabama Chanin from a four hole to a six hole snap.

I added small additional pieces of the jersey knit on the interior of the cardigan to reinforce the snap stitchery, and then after stitching, trimmed most of the excess away neatly. I thought this would be preferable to using interfacing, which I have never had success with on knit fabric, as more in keeping with the A/C construction style. Having at least three layers of fabric backing each snap will add greater strength in use, and support the somewhat heavy snaps...

6 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful piece of art, thank you so much for sharing your masterpiece with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. Congratulations on the good work. I echo Ruthie in saying thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an amazing piece of work, Alison, all the more so in that it perfectly reflects its maker. ~washi

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing piece of couture work Allison. You did an amazing job of this cardigan. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed