Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thursday thoughts and tidbits


On Tuesday, our plucky heroine wrote a polite message to Sterilite customer service about my disappointment in the quality of their new dishpans (which cracked and tore before even a year had passed); they just wrote back to let me know that they had modified the product and offered to send me replacements... I am surprised and pleased to get such a speedy response, and an attempt to make things right.
:::

Today the two embroidered front yoke panels (my transit time handwork for weeks now) are complete, and I am rather pleased with the results, well worth the over forty hours of hand stitching. The design is a creative interpretation of the heraldry of Kateline MacFarlane. I combined wool felt applique, surface couching and a variation on Bayeaux tapestry stitch, on a background of wool melton cloth; the background panels are approximately 9" x 6.5"

I will be teaching a short embroidery workshop later this month on some of these techniques, and am hoping that I can borrow these as examples to share. Still need to write up a class handout sheet, and gather supplies for the little sewing kits that will include floss, a needle, and pieces of wool felt or felted wool. It has been a while since I did any teaching other than enameling, and I am looking forward to it!

:::

September SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tunic muslin for B carport cleared yardwaste bin
2 gown muslin for M shelves in SCA closet 5 yardwaste bags
3 2nd Pegasus embroidery herb planter improved funky red dresser
4 * housefront plantings
mulched and weeded
old baby stroller
from garden shed
5 * * clay flowerpots
6 * * ----------
7 * ---------- ----------
8 * ---------- ----------
9 * ---------- ----------
10 * ---------- ----------
11 * ---------- ----------
:::

Today I am grateful for being stubborn my determination to learn to be a functional human, despite years of evidence to the contrary. Finding polite ways to speak up, for example, is a skill I continue to practice with much effort, and greater or lesser success. Letting go of old grudges is another big challenge that I continually find opportunities to attempt, the hope being that in time there will be fewer and fewer of them to raise their ugly little heads. And I am grateful to still be walking in the bright world, so that I may continue to move towards lovingkindness...

may this gratitude contradict despair...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed