![]() | blue and black floral T-shirt light blue jumper (worn as skirt) striped wool vest handknit wool "Stratus" scarf grey Polartec socks |
The Polartec socks here are an experiment, I'm not sure about how well they will work. What I've done differently is to use the warm synthetic knit fabric instead of bias cut wool. The pattern was then MUCH too loose and required significant taking in. I ended up also adding a band of elastic to the top edge, in an attempt to have them stay up without garters. The fabric is soo soft and comfy, but I don't know how well it will wear. I also attempted sewing them with the serger, and that is not a good thing for the edge where the sole is attached. That seam needs to be stitched and flattened, or it becomes something I can feel when wearing the socks.
You might wonder why I am trying this odd make-socks-from-cloth thing... Not from sheer extreme perversity but simply because I want socks that are not aggravating, and hopefully that will not wear out in less than three months. The only manufactured socks that meet that criteria (for me) are the spendy SmartWool socks. So this is in the nature of an experiment; perhaps I will discover that even at the price they are, it is more cost effective to buy than to make my own. I know that it is MUCH more expensive to knit my own socks, and they wear out very very quickly.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed