Tuesday, May 4, 2010

M3 - day 4

It remains cold, windy, and damp here, and I have both errands to run and hopefully some yardwork will happen, if it doesn't storm. I rode my bike to take the recycling away, and fortunately the rain held off 'till I came home. I still need to go to the library and the bank, and over to the METRO office to pick up some pamphlets on worm composting for my presentation tomorrow (I am hosting our Neighborly Roundtable potluck this month, and will be talking about my pet worms that live in the kitchen and eat my produce scraps...) I figure having information that folks can take home is always helpful, and I'd rather not write up an entire handout if it isn't necessary.

rayon hawaiian print shirt

denim overall jumper

handknit wool sweater

blue Polartec leggings

green wool socks

This is a favorite jumper, which is really sadly actually past the end of it's useful life, and until I make a replacement, is only worn for yardwork. It is pretty tatty at this point. Originally I made a pair of overalls, about seven or eight years ago, and about two years ago I re-fashioned them into a jumper, adding skirt gores, a lower patchwork border recycled from another wornout jumper, and extra patch pockets. Super-funky, and great for gardening and suchlike. Making another one of these, incorporating the extra pocketing, is on my "summer garment list"
≈ : ♥ : ≈
The wool sweater is on its second incarnation and was originally knit in the mid eighties, as a raglan cardigan with my running horse design done in intarsia on the back. After twenty years wear it was very threadbare, but I loved it dearly. My friend Bill said that if I took it apart he would re-spin the yarn for me, so in 2000 I deconstructed it, and the original wool was re-spun and plied. I searched out additional natural dark wool (since plying the yarn decreased the total yardage), and also added the acorn and oakleaf intarsia to the front panels (in addition to the running horse on the back). Bill contributed some sturdy black sheep homespun for the cuffs and button bands. It has been ten years since the reincarnation, and hopefully the sweater will keep me warm for years to come.
≈ : ♥ : ≈
(later that same day)
the weather has not been cooperative...enough with the hail already... picked up handout booklets from Metro about worm worlds and swapped out the library books. Invited two more neighbor families to the potluck tomorrow. If many people come, Acorn Cottage will be quite jammed. I think I'll make a big kettle of vegetable soup. Played around with sketches and came up with this image, I like the combination of hand-drawn graphics and Photoshop lettering...
≈ : ♥ : ≈
a close up of the dogtooth lace edging

I couldn't help it, just had to start another knitting project...the cold weather made me do it! (and some inspiration from Elfreda, who showed me the shawl project in her emergency knitting bag) It looks to be a variation on the Baktus shawl, which I enjoy wearing (having made two and lost one), but with a narrow lace dogtooth edge that is decoratively elaborated without being frilly. I'm using yarn a bit thicker than called for in the pattern, since I'm thinking that the wool/silk/cotton blend denim-blue salvaged yarn will be a good choice for this one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really impressed that you had the yarn from your sweater re-spun. What a wonderful practice and it's turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed