Back to cold rainy weather again - I had managed to get about 2/3 of the backyard grassy weeds cut back before I ran out of weed-whacker string yesterday. Now I'll need to wait again till the rain stops, since my yard machines are all electric.
≈ : ♥ : ≈
I have plenty of layers to keep me warm, and since I cleverly took my raincoat and hat along whilst doing errands, obligingly the sun has returned at least briefly...
![]() | striped handknit wool vest splitcowl floral print rayon top dark blue denim jumper blue Polartec legings green cloth socks turquoise and redheart necklaces |
≈ : ♥ : ≈
First we stopped at Aloha Feed Garden & Pet where I picked up a big bag of "sweepings" the straw bits that fall from the bales, which make great nest box/hen house bedding. I'd like to figure out a good place to store one or two bales of straw, but this works for now. When Nimblefoot was running, I would drive out to Linnton Feed and fill several empty Rubbermaid tubs with the sweepings from around their truck full of straw bales.Today Elfreda took me on a big loop all around the town:
Next even further out to Hillsboro Feed, where I picked up a 50# bag of hen pellets and 50# bag of oyster shell. The oyster shell will last for a very long time since I don't have very many hens, but it doesn't spoil over time; the "chicken chow" goes a lot quicker, and I am glad to find a locally milled, locally grown source.
Then we started back, with a quick stop at the giant Hillsboro Costco, then all the way crosstown to Fabric Depot so I could get some extra stiff interfacing for hatmaking. I was resolute in my determination not to bring home any more fabric, after successfully ignoring the baby chicks and plant starts at the feed stores, and returned home with everything from my lists and nothing else!
≈ : ♥ : ≈
stopmotion softie surrealism

It sounds like you'll be a great resource for information when we get started with chickens! =)
ReplyDelete