Friday, August 7, 2026

Friday fragments

in which our plucky heroine finds a new temporary obsession...

Yesterday was the second day of the 7in7 earring challenge, (which I just discovered late Wednesday night...) Lately I've been playing with found materials and recombinant parts of some of my older pieces anyway, so am using this challenge as a springboard to additional random creativity. When I saw these unusual acorn caps while out walking I had an idea for woodland themed earrings, added some cast and enamel mushroom charms Bill and I collaborated on decades ago and these will be just right for autumn.

※※※

Today is day 3 of the 7in7 earring challenge... This single small silver-plate teaspoon has been languishing in my tableware drawer for over three decades, and now has a new destiny as a pair of earrings. The bas-relief of oranges has always charmed me.. The spoon was thicker than I realised, so a bit difficult to saw through, but once cut into pieces each earring blank weighed only about 3 grams, so not too heavy for comfort.Some small silvery baroque freshwater pearls turned out to be good accents to add additional movement and catch the light.


※※※

~ found beauty ~

Blue lacecap hydrangea, seen halfway down the back parking lot stairs at Providence hospital. On my way back to the bus stop early yesterday morning, after my annual skin checkup, these blue flowers were very eyecatching. Awake at 5am in order to coordinate transit,  tired but spirit now good since my exam was all clear and the odd spot on my hand is a solar lentigo and not something dire...
※※※

The diseased leaves on my pear trees are caused by "rust" fungus which is alternately hosted on junipers, of which there are many around the neighborhood including the far side of my own driveway (mostly in the corner neighbor's front yard). Dang! My bigger Bosc tree has some damage, the baby Seckel pear is badly hit, and the baby Shipova seems untouched. There don't seem to be any good non-chemical way to control it, and I doubt that neighbors would be keen on my removing a chunk of their landscaping...
※※※

August SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 2 Talenti shelves Talenti shelf upgreenwaste bin
2 acorncap earrings2nd pot lid rackrecycle bin
3 teaspoon earrings- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
- spot on hand is solar lentigo and not melanoma. Whew!
- neighbors moved their car, managed to harvest more elderberries
- chopped up cilantro stems and a bit of yellow onion diced make a decent substitute for green onions in Sister Gigi's Corn Pancakes.
- in the kale/bulgar/feta salad kasha makes a great substitute for bulgar in terms of texture (and of course adds tasty kasha flavor)
※※※
 
Sister Gigi's Sweet Corn Cakes
4 ears sweet corn
(or 2 c frozen)
½ c cornmeal or masa
½ c flour
1 t salt
1 t sugar
½ t baking powder
¼ t cayenne
1 large egg
¾ c buttermilk
3 T butter, melted and cooled
2 green onions, chopped small
If using fresh corn, cut the kernels from cobs,
(you should have about 2 c)

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl,
combine all wet ingredients in a bowl,
mix together and add the corn and the green onions.
Let rest in the refrigerator for at least a half hour or more
(cornmeal will hydrate, texture will be nicer; if you use masa, might need more liquid than called for)

Fry like pancakes 'till both sides are golden.

serve with green salsa and sour cream
※※※


Time of Isolation - Day 2215

1 comment:

  1. I smile every time I see the corn pancakes appear...

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed