The current task is preparing my talk for tomorrow on the "100 day drawing project - objects of my affection". Back in 2023 I gave a talk on "what is a 100 day challenge and why to do one"... This is a little more specific, so I plan on reviewing my former talk and then going into why drawing is so important.Kestrel sent me the instructions for making strawberry ice cubes, as a two page drawing, which I have turned into a redwork embroidery for the kitchen. I still need to make a proper frame to hang the embroidery, but today I went to the farmers market Really Early when they first opened, to get some local organic strawberries, with the intention of actually following her recipe. Aren't they pretty?
※※※
I solved a specific problem I was having on one particular Discord server, by searching out information on how to "ignore" (mute) one specific individual. It turns out this is possible, and it doesn't notify them of the change, or create any changes in the server itself for anyone else. I just won't see their posts. Apparently I am the only one in that group disturbed by frequent paeans to how wonderful AI is.
I have tried other ways to change the situation, both messaging the person directly, and having a channel on the server for the topic they are enthused about (to keep the topic out of immediate view and let those interested enjoy it). Instead, they keep posting in the general conversation channel. It makes me sad that no one other than myself has brought up the physical effects on the surrounding environment (constant noise pollution, emissons from their power generators, massive increased water use and pollution, and increased electrical rates for ordinary folks that live in the area) of the data centers that run AI, or about any of the ethical issues with generative AI. But at least now I will no longer have my nose rubbed in it each time I go online to find out what my other friends are up to...
※※※
Just finished reading T Kingfisher's "Snake-Eater" and really enjoyed it. Loved the found family aspect, and the details of the southwest desert biome. I'm not much into the horror genre usually, but if there was a subset "cozy horror" this would fit the category.
※※※
I saw online that someone made corn fritters that included shredded zucchini. Since there is zucchini in the freezer, it will be worth trying it added to Sister Gigi's Corn Cakes recipe. My thought is thaw and then drain out as much extra liquid before incorporation into the batter. Stay tuned after the heat wave breaks, no cooking that heats up the kitchen until the middle of next week...
※※※
June SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Babs brooch | thinned apples | greenwaste bin |
| 2 | 5th god lino block | replace elastic | recycle bin |
| 3 | 5th god corner block | - | - |
| 4 | enamels for John | - | - |
| 5 | tie-dye pillowcases | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
- local strawberries
- today Teams interface worked okay, and I was able to have a visit with Ariadne. We exchanged suggestions for books to read. Kestrel showed me a book she is working on about cats and parakeets.
- blog search box = improved access to my own archive
Time of Isolation - Day 2165

The strawberry ice cubes look refreshing!
ReplyDeleteYour mention of Kingfisher and “cozy horror” reminded me that Becky Chambers (not horror, but cozy & speculative) has a new release scheduled for this October—“As You Wake, Break the Shell.” If my memory serves, you are a fan?
You are very correct, and thank you for the heads-up!
Deleteenjoy your strawberry ice cubes!
ReplyDeleteI plan on enjoying them... might even be extravagant and get some fancy fruit juice to put them in
Delete