Sunday, January 4, 2026

old-school makerie

in which our plucky heroine plans another early bedtime...

The upcoming week will be busy. Among several many assorted other things that need to happen in the coming week, I plan on finishing the layout for my 2026 calendar and getting over to the copy store to get them all printed so I can mail out the ones to faraway, and have ready the ones I will be handing out in person. Today I finished inking the last of the 12 drawings, and also found the non-repro blue "layout" graph paper, so should be able to move steadily forward on this. All the month names, dates and days will be handwritten, as a statement: actual artwork by an actual human, using their actual hands (analog paste-up and design).
※※※

~ day 4 ~
a pair of leaf shaped handmade kitchen knives, made by our plucky heroine herself more than 40 years ago, when she was a student at Evergreen... just like when I was the only senior girl in a high school wood shop class of freshman boys, once again the only woman in a class full of men. In the Evergreen tradition, we went around the circle introducing ourselves and sharing what we hoped to do/learn in the class. Among the various deep voices hoping to make "a hunting knife", or "a skinning knife" there was mine, higher pitched, hoping to make "a knife to cut vegetables..." All these years later, both knives still grace my kitchen.
※※※

currently reading - "Turning Point 1997 - 2008", a book of (translated) interviews with Hayao Miyazaki. It is very interesting to read more about what this master animator/storyteller has had to say about his life and the thoughts behind and about his works.
※※※

Ongoing housey lost and founds. I'd misplaced Nandina's little felt boots, which turned up today wedged under the edge of the laptop shelf!? Still hoping to find Opal's little Birkenstock sandals somewhere, since they are not in the tinyfolk houses, or in the picnic tote that holds their wardrobes. 

Then during Crafternoon went looking for my Foxpaws scarf and couldn't find it in any of the places I normally keep knitwear. I hope it turns up, it took months to knit. As to why was I looking for it in the first place, to show my Crafternoon pals, since I had self-indulgently bought a knitting pattern yesterday by the same designer (Xandy Peters) who used the same sort of motifs as edge borders on the shawl. 
※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 final alphabeast drawing painted mini treerecycle bin
2 ---
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
- I found Nandina's missing boots.
- forecast for tomorrow is cold and damp but not active rain
- handmade tools that last a lifetime

Time of Isolation - Day 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed