It wasn't the first thing I did today (which was my go outside and get outdoor light into my eyeballs) or even the second thing, but I did make some of the needed phone calls this afternoon, and tomorrow! there will be two different estimators (one in the morning, one in late afternoon) showing up to have a look-see at the roof here at Acorn Cottage, and give their ideas and figures for what the labor costs and materials options for replacing the over twenty year old roof will require...My current handwork fidget project is making some of the soft sculpture mushrooms that Margeaux Davis shared a tutorial for last week in the MakingZen series. Scraps of assorted red fabrics, unbleached muslin, and a few other bits and bobs get turned into what I think will become some fun ornament gifts for friends. I particularly love the way the gathered fabric becomes "mushroom gills" and the use of french knots for texture...
"...we must, in the ways that we can, live the future we hope to bring into being."
~ Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg
※※※
I have misplaced my garden trowel! This object, unlike a number of other things around the place, actually has a specific home, but isn't in it. And isn't anywhere else I've looked. It is one of the few everyday tools I only have the one of, no backup. and apparently I've no memory of the most recent time it was in use, since I've looked in all the logical or possible spots, including in the garden beds themselves... In other garden news, the peas are enjoying their new climbing frame, almost two gallons of baby apples have been thinned (and still not done with that task) and assorted pruning continues to happen. Have been keeping the young trees watered as the temperature continues to increase. The sprouty yellow potatoes I planted in a spare pot have sent up actual leaves, and my intention is to see if I can harvest some spuds later in the year. They're not quite tall enough yet to add another layer of mulch.
※※※
June SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | aminita softy | planted sprouty taters | - |
| 2 | - | - | - |
| 3 | - | - | - |
| 4 | - | - | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
- being able to listen to recordings of Grateful Dead shows via Internet Archive, on my phone, while riding my bicycle...
- an adorable aminita made from scrap fabric
- I bravely called one law office and two roofing contractors today
Time of Isolation - Day 1779



No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed