Friday, April 4, 2025

pollination pals

in which our plucky heroine enjoys an excursion...

Wednesday my good neighbor Tracey gave me a lift to outer Southeast, where One Green World has a retail nursery. They sell edible garden plants both common and uncommon, and I was able to acquire the young "Baby Shipova" tree to hopefully grow up alongside the Bosc pear tree in the front yard here at Acorn Cottage. Bosc pears need a companion pear that blooms at the same time in order to set fruit, and shipova (a mountain ash/European pear cross) is a suitable pollinator. And according to my pal Sharon, the fruit tastes like a delicious cross between pear and marzipan.

And so that afternoon I dug a hole in the front yard, about 18" away from the pear tree, the distance recommended by Grow A Little Fruit Tree for "close planting" and gave Baby Shipova a new home. I also took some pieces of metal grid and made a temporary ground covering to try and keep the tree rats from immediately digging holes in the somewhat softer soil - there will be better barricades soon, and mulch as well, ditto for the new persimmon in the back yard.
※※※

~ green tribbles ~
Mossworlds are never the same, and never tiresome. I love them.
※※※

My doctor visit Tuesday morning confirmed the good metrics I had been seeing on the various things I check daily at home, which left me feeling like I am on the right track, healthwise. Phoned in for a mammogram appointment, and was offered a cancellation appointment the next morning at 7:45 AM, which meant getting up and out the door prior to sunup. Still need to schedule a TDaP vaccination soon. 
※※※

Plants and animals: The plum thicket has started blooming. White violets are mostly done, pink ones in full flower, as it the one clump of fritillaria. When walking to the bus stop just before dawn on Thursday, two large raccoons ran across the street less than a block away. There are many many crows in the neighborhood in the last day or two.
※※※
more yard and garden: Called Honl and set up an appointment next week to get an estimate on taking out the arborvitae in the backyard. Looked at various garden hoses and hardware at FredMeyers, and at True Value. Still confused about which pieces of quick release hardware will be needed to set up my desired arrangement. Will begin placing Lee Valley orders tonight nonetheless, as hoses and Y-splitter are definite
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - shipova plantedyard waste bin
2 -smoothed half of side gate baserecycle bin
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. kindly neighbor Tracey gave me a ride to the plant nursery
2. Dan O'Neill'0s Odd Bodkins cartoons
3. the ground is still soft enough to dig, so today was able to smooth out the area where the side yard gate swings open

Time of Isolation - Day 1720

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed