Sunday, December 22, 2024

Sunday snippets

in which our plucky heroine wishes bootstraps were not so distant...

... or that maybe I didn't have such short little dinosaur arms! Today I was all grumbldy-grump, and not until I went out for a walk in the cold rain just before sundown did my mood turn around. Moving the body through time and space shifts my spirits so much better than any other accessible option, (and I am so grateful that I am able to do that still!) It is silly to let any weather other than deep cold and ice keep me indoors.
※※※

~ day 22 ~
The tinyfolks will be delighted to add this very tiny shrinky-dink wonky heart to Caer Cardboard's festive decor.
※※※
I can tell I am going to need to read the Wanderhome book more than one time through before I even paritally grok how it is intended to function, but I already like the various premises. I am going to be a smith, and a tiger (being both a patient and strong animal), and am gradually looking through the various options available to be that flavor of character.
※※※

Eva gave a really good talk today about life purpose, and shared these as possible overall guidelines:

Your purpose should be:
  • Possible (something you can do)
  • Pleasing (you find satisfaction in it/enjoy it)
  • Personal (your own thing, not someone elses)
  • Positive/Prosocial (does not do harm, and preferably does good)
  • Process-oriented (stated in terms of what you are doing or causing in an ongoing way, not achieving a set goal)
  • Particular (specific enough to help you make decisions)
  • Portable (not tied to one job, act, or identity descriptor)
※※※

My experiment with the half-size spinach rice bake worked really well as far as the size goes. I'll save the full size recipe for when the plan is to wrap and freeze sections for future "can't cope" meals. The experiment with the medium cheddar instead of sharp was less successful IMHO, as it made the dish less toothsome. (I am pretty sure the original recipe called for mild cheddar and only ¼ teaspoon of dried herbs! I don't remember ordinary food as that bland back in the LongAgo??) I slathered a good spoonful of Awesome Sauce over the top of my slice for lunch, to add a bit of zing on this very grey day.
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 rainbow cowl tassels
more clothesline
recycle bin
2 85 origami squares
cardboard down
random book parts
3 heraldic potholders
set up paperwhites
recycle bin
4 pine needle stars
grey linen pinafore
yard waste bin
5 solstice sweets
bandanna hem
yard waste bin
6 x x
recycle bin
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. when I decided to go out for a walk despite the cold drizzle, it wasn't more than half a block before my mood improved a lot. I should remember this always
2. This silly filk really made me laugh...
3. Eva gives really good presentations of ideas, that spark good discussions
4. I can walk around, I can ride my bike, I can, with care, be mobile in the world.

Time of Isolation - Day 1621

2 comments:

  1. I think our taste buds can change with age. I used to hate black olives (called them black beetles and picked them off the pizza) but now LOVE them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. talking to various friends of mine, they agree that back in the mid 60's, recipes overall were less "flavor intense"... That said, I know that there are many things I didn't want to eat as a child that I enjoy now, and vice versa. though I am still not really keen on olives!

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed