Sunday, August 18, 2024

Eugene rinse cycle

in which our plucky heroine gets drenched...

It rained yesterday afternoon. Actually there was thunder in the distance, and the sky got dark, and presumably there was also lightning, but I didn't hang around outside to try and see it. I did realise that the downspout had disconnected from the south gutter, so I ran out to winkle it back into place. Then I realised I had forgotten the laundry, which had been drying on the line. Oops! I brought in the compression socks, which were still mostly dry, but left everything else. Another rinse and dry cycle would do the dainties and dishcloths no harm at all...
※※※

~ beautiful and useful ~
This morning when I woke up the morning light was still a bit golden, and the Wanda plum tree outside the bedroom window was still bejeweled with last nights raindrops.

※※※

In further sewing news: almost done with the long sleeved tops for Kestrel's tinyfolk. I have been fitting the hand sewing into various times spent in zoom meetings. A few more snaps sewn in place, and some decorative embroidery, and they will be ready to mail off to Mud Bay.  I suspect we still have a few more weeks of summer, so I also have been cutting out the pieces for the teal batik popover dress, which I will be ready to work on once I get the worktable cleared away. Definitely plan on having it done by next Saturday.
※※※

Yesterday I went to Portland Nursery right when they opened. My plan was to acquire a new start of red compost worms for the worm bin. They had them right at the register, in little containers like pints of ice cream. I had carefully made a mylar bubblewrap inner bag for my daypack, to carry them home protected from heat, and it worked really well. Particularly as I went to H Mart on the way home for frozen gyoza wrappers, which I tucked on the other side of the insulated bag in the daypack. I wanted to keep the worms cool, but not frozen!

While I was at the nursery I did enjoy a bit of looking at possible choices for the "replacement tree" required by Urban Forestry. There were various fruit trees that had large enough trunks, at a high but not alarmingly spendy price tag. The difficulty would be in transporting a tree from wherever to Acorn Cottage, and then in digging a large enough hole to plant it well. There may have to be a work party, somehow... Fortunately that is not something to do this time of year. The ground is hard and dry right now, despite yesterday's rain.
※※※

I'd been meaning to get back to putting in some scribal time for months now. In fact, it has been long enough that the partially finished scroll on my desk had become dusty! Bah!! After cleaning it off, I put in a good two hours painting tiny yellow dots during Crafternoon, while hanging out with Ursel. Another few hours and I can switch from yellow to either red or blue. I do not think I will ever again willingly choose this sort of textural painting, but it does look quite splendid, and is getting closer to being completed. I am going to have the longer range goal of completing the various backlog scrolls on my list by the end of the year, which will feel wonderful!
※※※

August SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 2 pillowcases
nut chopper handle
yard waste bin
2 yak print
elderberry harvest
plum tree
3 tiny bell-bottoms
refurbish Felco
 driveway moss
4 tiny camisole
worm bin
recycle bin
5 small pressing tools
- yard waste bin
6 tiny playset
x
x
7 denim hat
x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. Portland Nursery had packages of compost worms, and the kitchen worm bin has been refurbished and refurnished. I am going to add worm inspection to the weekly chore tasks.
2. The paints I used for texture on Raven's scroll were still in their storage boxes tucked slanted desktop. Very handy... and Ursel keeping me company while I painted was great! I sorely miss "scribal time" with friends.
3. There were Asian eggplants at the grocery store. Tomorrow there will be 5 flavor eggplant for dinner!

Time of Isolation - Day 1499

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed