Wednesday, June 19, 2024

iron-ing

in which our plucky heroine does something hard and something fun...

I mostly hate making phone calls. Not as much if I am phoning a friend, though even then I always feel hesitant, not wanting to "be a bother". But having to call businesses with an inquiry or a request has never stopped being a "grit my teeth and do it"
There were two calls on my current task list today, and I made both of them before noon. Yay me!

I also started the task of decluttering my actual paper file cabinet, to move towards the goal of using the upper drawer as a "home" for important paperwork that tends to get misplaced. I do really well putting things away into their proper homes, IF they have homes. Since I made a "house key home" quite a few years ago, I no longer misplace the house keys, etc. The file cabinet upper drawer is full of random nifty hardcopy, but I pretty much never go there to use it, and it can be culled hard. (The bottom drawer is where I store my blank paper of various sorts, tracing paper, graph paper, art paper of different weights etc... that drawer is functioning well)
※※※

~ paint it black ~
.
after ebonising, and beforehand

So, remember yesterday when I mentioned using iron infused vinegar to ebonise tannin rich wood... well... instead of just waiting for the steel wool to react, I also took some rusty rebar and stuck the ends in the jar (outdoors of course) and let it sit overnight. In the meantime, I slathered the oak escutcheon with strong tea and let it dry in the sun, because why not?

After then applying the almost clear vinegar liquid, the color change was quite rapid though not instant. A second coat darkened the wood surface even more; the only light areas are inside the deeper pores of the surface (the original oak scrap had some sort of wood finish, and while I sanded the surface to remove it, the pores are rather deep) Had I been able to start with totally unfinished wood, it would all have become black! So, I call the experiment quite successful.
※※※

※※※

~ day 19 ~
I'm feeling a bit wistful that the summer solstice miniature swap is almost at an end... fortunately some fresh fruit will lift my spirits. The tinyfolk are really enjoying their fruit "salads"
※※※

June SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 musk ox print
horses blouse edge
yard waste bin
2 green linen Jedi tunic
kitchen light fixture
recycle bin
3 Nandina floral dress
Luxo plug
dead box fan
4 2 tiny knit skirts
plaid flannel slip
-
5 tiny knit cardigan
oak ebonised
-
6 Salish wooly dog print
x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. a successful experiment - the oak escutcheon is now black instead of pale golden color.
2. the person I spoke to on the phone at Wolfer's was really nice and immediately emailed me the information needed
3. I started the process of decluttering and culling my paper filing cabinet!

Time of Isolation - Day 1441

1 comment:

  1. Oh! Wonderful version of Paint it Back. Back atcha--Look up a version of Paint It Black by the Harp Twins & the Volfgang Twins.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed