Monday, December 18, 2023

Monday miscellany

in which our plucky heroine attempts forward momentum...

I keep struggling to do more than just self maintenance, though at least I am managing that. I've several different commission works that must needs be done in the next week and mailed out. I have personal creative projects that are all languishing scattered around the house. I need some kind of company to keep me on track, but since that is impossible, let's see what I can get done this week, and with luck I can start the turn of the year with my creative self engaged and enlivened...
※※※

~ surprise! ~
So very unexpected to see a large parcel leaning against the front door here at Acorn Cottage, since I didn't remember ordering anything... inside the big box was a sturdy double thickness rotary cutting mat from my wishlist, sensibly shipped flat rather than rolled up, so it will be immediately useable, and a very good addition to my sewing space. So far none of my assorted cohorts I've asked have admitted to this surprise, so I am still left wondering...
※※※

well dang! Yesterday I finished the first I-cord border around the body of my future stripey sleeve cardigan. Then I tried it on and realised that somewhere in the process I miscalculated, and there is a significant gap, of about 4½" that needs filled in so that the center front will close. The only thing I can think of to do is to frog all the I-cord, and add front border panels. I feel right foolish for not checking the size against other garments I have made from the same pattern.

Still, there is no great hurry for the cardigan to be finished, so I can take some time and decide what will best be a pleasing and complementary texture or pattern for the center front, before finally completing the borders again...
※※※

~ Advent Swap day 16, 17, 18 ~
. .
Three days of tiny gifts: Day 16 - a sparkly winter season charm, Day 17 - a small reminder, and Day 18 - a very small beaded trinket, which will either end up as a stitch marker for my knitting, or a tree decoration for the tinyfolk...
※※※

Friday night I made gravy. I never make gravy, indeed I almost never ingest gravy, but there was all this tasty smelling stuff left in the pan after I roasted the roulade. So I thought "why not". I doubt that what I did was official gravy protocol, but it made quite a bit of something with a good flavor and texture, that will be a savory sauce for roasted veggies
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 7 jars quince
kitchen plumbing
old plumbing
2 dried pears
heat pump installed
old furnace
3 dried persimmons
return vent vanes
high pitched whine
4 linen gauze privacy curtains
bedroom register
-
5 -bike flat tire
-
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. gravy for my potatoes... it can be something tasty, unlike school lunch tray gravy...
2. surprise gifts warm my heart, reminding me I am not forgotten
3. Lupa just posted that the shampoo formerly made by Nature's Gate are now available under a different name by a different distributor: "iHerb"... I've sorely missed the Nature's Gate herbal shampoo ever since they went out of business several years ago; nothing else has such a pleasant scent... I am delighted that I may be able to return hair-washing days to something I can enjoy again. It will make an everyday task into a subtle treat again!

Time of Isolation - Day 1264

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you mentioned I herb because I use the herbal conditioner. It’s wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried using potato flour to make gravy? I find it to be a good substitute for gluten flours. Martha from Louisiana

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed