Saturday, December 2, 2023

adventures in plumbing...

in which our plucky heroine is pleasantly surprised...

Mr Dawson showed up this morning to help me, as I had asked for his assistance removing the back of the undersink cabinet in the kitchen... instead he stayed here basically all day, and didn't just remove the plywood, but ended up replacing most of the problem plumbing as well!

So now I basically have the two sinks back to being functional, (though there are a few places that still need me to keep a watchful eye on them, like where we replaced the shut off valves.) There is no more funky chrome plated pipe, just nice sturdy PVC. It took trips to two different hardware stores to get what was needed.

I really did not at all expect him to just go ahead and fix the plumbing for me, and he arrived with multiple tool boxes full of tools I had never seen before! Cordless band saw! Cordless multi-tool! Many more wrenches than I own... etc! Plus I got to enjoy the unexpected visit and hours of conversation! Truly I am most fortunate in my kind and helpful friends!!
※※※

The pipe into the primary drain inside the wall was corroded, paper thin, and had multiple tiny holes, like a particularly nasty kind of lacework.
※※※

I've almost filled one large Fido jar with dried persimmons, and there are enough still on the shelf that I could fill up at least two more jars. I sent some dried, and some fresh ones up north to Olympia today, to share the bounty, and will probably send some more to other pals who enjoy them.
※※※

~ Advent Swap Day 2 ~
A mahjong tile (west wind)... with a mysterious label (it looks like it says "face obstacle", which is nothing if not an accurate description of current situation)
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - kitchen plumbing
old plumbing
2 ---
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 x x x
7 x x x
8 x x
x
9 x x
x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. Bill fixed the plumbing!! I have the most excellent, generous, kind, and knowledgeable friend a person could wish for! (actually I have many friends that fit that description in various ways, so I am truly fortunate)
2. I found my missing flashlight. It was rather grotty from sitting for several years, but still worked, and after a scrubdown with some rubbing alcohol, it is as good as new, and perfect for checking the undersink.
3. My good neighbors to the south are so observant. T told me about the person walking around my house yesterday and this morning, with concern... (I was able to reassure her that it was my friend N, as I'd mixed up the time we were supposed to meet. And that gave me a chance to tell T about the Advent Swap, and maybe she and S will want to participate next year.
4. While I was visiting the Undersink, I took the opportunity to examine around where the sink itself joins the countertop. I have been always very careful to wipe up the water that ends up at the joint on the upper surface of that interface, and was pleased to see that the plywood underneath appears to be in very good condition, with no sign of water damage

Time of Isolation - Day 1248

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Mr Dawson and the no longer leaking pipes, How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthie - it was such an unexpected treat! The primary drainage from the sinks is now corrected, and I can use the kitchen and the bathroom sinks again

      Delete
  2. What a kind man is Mr. Dawson. Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol - I am very lucky to have him as a friend... we have known each other for about 30 years, and I am friends with his whole family

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed