I was answering a friends query about how some Roman buttons may have been made, and remembered that years ago I carved a bronze die matrix of a Scythian running dog, and used it to make decorative plaques from very thin gauge sheet silver and bronze and copper. Still have one finished piece left; created by layering the annealed sheet metal next to the matrix, and then stacking up several layers of thin leather, and hammering it hard enough to drive the metal into the die matrix. It is possible to get multiple copies of the same design, and the fineness of the detail is only limited by ones ability as a carver, and the tools available for carving.
※※※
current audiobook "Eight Flavors" by Sarah Lohman, in the chapter on vanilla, TIL that vanillin is found in some lignins as well as other natural sources, not just within the vanilla bean.I wonder if that is part of why the tree Child Me thought of as the "ice cream tree" (that I now know was the ponderosa pine) has a distinctive scent of sweet vanilla...
※※※
that was unexpected... The fortnightly grocery delivery did not end up on the front porch as usual (and as it has been for the last several years). Instead, it was delivered to my pothead neighbors front porch! I am just glad that I happened to be online, noticed the email confirmation, and went outside to see there was no familiar box of produce. Fortunately there is also a photo in the email, showing where the box had been left. If I hadn't seen that, the result might have been no groceries at all, but I was able to retrieve them. I also called the delivery company to let them know of the mixup. Acorn Cottage has large clearly marked house numbers visible from the street. I am guessing a different driver this time?
※※※
Today I figured out a way to begin the cosplay clothing my friend Tullia wants me to make for her. I will have her try on the innermost layer later this week and see what changes need to be made. Hopefully not too much. I also happily found a bundle of former pavillion shade sides, made from an old Ikea sheet, which are perfect for use as sewing "muslin"
※※※
July SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Pelican enamel | many apples thinned | recycle bin |
| 2 | Pelican pendant setting | grapevines cut back | yard waste bin |
| 3 | indigo shibori popover | backyard mowed | recycle bin |
| 4 | stripey rayon popover | side yard mowed | yard waste bin |
| 5 | reversible rayon pinafore | grey popover mended | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. the missing grocery delivery got found, in an odd place but before the frozen food thawed!
2. the tiny lino blocks were hiding under a chair cushion, no idea how that happened, but now I can move forward with the F is for fun project...
3. I can mail an assortment of home canned treats - salsa and sauces and jelly, as well as some masa and the recipe for corn cakes, to my brother and his wife as a gift.
Time of Isolation - Day 1126

No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed