It has been steadily snowing since midday here, we have several inches already and tomorrow is not supposed to get above freezing all day. I plan on staying home and getting in some good calligraphy and cloisonne time... It has been a while since I made anything for the tinyworld. Somehow, a snowy day seemed like the best excuse to make up a wee forsythia branches... I'd been meaning to do this for a while, and needed to figure out how to create the tiny flowers. What gave a good effect was to use punched circles of tissue paper (colored yellow first, with a Sharpie), that were pushed over the tip of a toothpick to become a folded conical slightly ruffled shape. Those were then glued by their tip to dried twigs; 'twas fiddlety work requiring my most pointy tweezers, but I think it effective. Once they dry, I will set them in the blue and white checquered porcelain vase that I ordered last May, which will set off the yellow flowers nicely!
※※※
My attempt to DIY wide rice noodles (for Pad See Ew) by stacking up the edible rice paper was only partially successful. While I was able to make "noodles", the texture wasn't quite right. I think I will save the rice paper discs for making fried packets instead. I may try using them for fauxsagna, to see if they work in place of no boil noodles, and I've seen some cooking videos using them for dim sum, like these shrimp treats or these har gow dumplings
※※※
February SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | 2 tiny bird books | soy sauce cruet base | recycle bin |
| 2 | semicircular bathmat | reconfigure neckline | yard waste bin |
| 3 | rice paper packets | rose kerchief mended | recycle bin |
| 4 | 3 100 day pages | SR leather re-dyed | recycle bin |
| 5 | tiny forsythia | - | old cassettes |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. I managed to get out and about before the snow really began to cover everything.
2. H Mart had gluten free oyster sauce
3. furnace is gallantly running
Time of Isolation - Day 1081

No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed