because goodness knows we could use some! I saw someone use the term "Betwixtmas" to describe the liminal season between Xmas and New Years, and decided to adopt it for the season between Solstice and 12th Night, similarly but not the same as how my friend Mari created the holiday of Ursus. When I started looking over my year long SMART goals list for 2022, I realised that the focus of my creative efforts this year have mostly been centered in the tinyworld. I made a LOT of miniature things in 2022, likely in response to the larger world being filled with difficulty and unwelcome change.
I am glad for my recording all year the projects I complete. Otherwise I'd forget that I did in fact do some metalwork and enameling, though nowhere near as much as in the Before Times. I made a few pieces of commissioned regalia, and also created the wedding rings for some dear friends. Hopefully I can spend more time in the studio in 2023, and will make that a specific focus, even if paying work is thin on the ground. After all, if no one sees what I can do, they will forget I can do it.
Certainly, my best accomplishment of 2022 was surviving the year. It was really fraught, with my Aged Father unexpectedly suddenly dying, which led inevitably to my Aged Mother being placed in a care home. Dementia has taken her away almost as completely as my father, and I still grieve for them both, and sorely miss the frequent phone calls that kept us connected, and helped ameliorate my isolation.
There were other notable projects completed. Probably the most challenging house project was my reconfiguring the supports on my bed, adding slats and rails in order to correctly install the excellent mattress that was sitting in a roll in the bedroom for several years. As far as my wardrobe, creating the canvas chore jacket was a real highlight; it is a garment I have wanted for many years, and one that has proven to be ideal for everyday wear in all but the coldest weather. My new hats make me happy every time I wear them, they fit better than any hats I have made in the past, and they look darn near exactly as I had hoped.I never get tired of mossworlds, however big or small. This time of year, they are the most lively green things to see. I managed to get out for both a walk and a bike ride earlier today, between the showers. The weather has shifted from unseasonably cold a few weeks ago, to practically balmy... It won't last of course, and the forecast is for highs in the 40's, but I am doing my best to add movement to my days whenever I can.
※※※
December SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | skull collar #2 | over sink light | recycle bin |
| 2 | 2 baprons for Liam | crock pot lid | recycle bin |
| 3 | 8 jars strawberry rhubarb | replace furnace filter | recycle bin |
| 4 | quince paste | alter colorful huipil | recycle bin |
| 5 | 8 jars persimmon ketchup | vertical loom | recycle bin |
| 6 | 4 more Liam baprons | mend grey dress | x |
| 7 | calendar masters | insulate AC | x |
| 8 | 6 jars quincemeat | storage for wash bags | x |
| 9 | 4 lg jars strawberry rhubarb | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. almost three years into the pandammit and I have avoided catching the virus
2. Past Me cleverly acquired the Taunton Press book "Easy Guide to Sewing Linings", which I have begun reading. It includes information about how to create lining patterns for garments which are unlined. This is going to be very helpful with the raincoat project.
3. feeling a tiny bit positive about project planning for 2023, and about figuring out how to get more balance for how I spend my time... adding in the things I want to focus on (print making, scribal arts, metal/enamel/jewelry) means I can't be as obsessive in the tinyworld as I was this year. I may experiment with choosing different projects for different days. One of the artists I really admire does that and is amazingly productive while making great art.
Time of Isolation - Day 1030

The idea of different projects for different days is an interesting one. Whilst not an artist in the same way as you I do dabble in non sewing crafts and they have taken a back seat for several years.
ReplyDelete