So, Sister Gigi sent me a recipe for buttermilk brining a turkey. (1 c buttermilk : ¾T salt - 24 - 36 hr marinade) Since a whole turkey, or even a whole turkey breast, is far too big for Acorn Cottage nowadays, it seemed like trying it out with a boned turkey thigh might be a good option... First step after eating lunch is to bone the turkey thigh (with the intention of creating a turkey roulade roast of the correct size). I was first introduced to the concept by Maeva's friend Robin from Half Moon Bay.
※※※
the incomparable Flanders and Swann:
※※※
the incomparable Flanders and Swann:
※※※
The bamboo lycra fabric I ordered arrived really quickly. It is thinner than I expected, and very silky, and I'm curious how it will react to being washed and dried, which is currently underway. Even though I usually hang dry my knitwear, I always pre-shrink it to start with. (edited to add it washed up nicely, but foolish me forgot to measure it before laundering, so I have no idea how much it may have shrunk. The print fabric looks just as nice in person, and will indeed coordinate with all my pinafores. The blue fabric was more of a cobalt blue than a dark teal, but still pretty. I am thinking that will be the underlayer of the future cardigan, because silky smooth. I will be waiting a while before starting the Alabama Chanin style cardigan, as that is less of a necessity and I don't yet have an idea for what motif(s) I want to use for the reverse applique or other applied or applique decoration
※※※
November SMART goals (x=extra)
November SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | skull brooch | vacuum heat intake | broken porch planter |
| 2 | salsa verde | new pinback on flower | recycle bin |
| 3 | pale grey long janes | 26# quinces picked | recycle bin |
| 4 | trim for long janes | black embroidered slip | - |
| 5 | large tray quince paste | add turtleneck to tie-dye | - |
| 6 | 6 jars quince jelly | x | x |
| 7 | 11 jars Awesome Sauce | x | x |
| 8 | 4 jars vanilla rose quince syrup | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. two more cases of 4 oz canning jars acquired.
2. My tiny gift for winning the Grave Goods challenge arrived today, a wee fierce tuxedo cat
3. Steady preserving progress, a batch of quince syrup finished and another batch of Awesome sauce started. There are enough tomatoes in the freezer for several more batches after this one is finished, but only enough hot peppers for maybe two more, so there may be something else as well, we shall see.
Time of Isolation - Day 992
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed